Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Neutering, SPCA vs. Vet and age

Two questions in one. First of all, I have read some good articles on why it is good to wait until 1 year old to neuter. The problem I have is our big puppy (probably around 65lbs by now) is 7 months old now and is starting to get a bit wild. I never really noticed it, until someone else told us. We took him to a pet resort back in July and the folks there were wonderful. So we took him back this past weekend because we had to take a day trip. Well... he's not allowed back until he is snipped and gets some basic obedience. They said he was really wild, was lunging at the other dogs (they used the word aggressive, but I know he just wanted to play), and started chewing at the drywall to get out. Yes, my fault. I took him to puppy kindergarten, but really need to get him enrolled in the next step obedience class. I tried my best not to spoil my kids, but I really spoiled this guy rotten and now I need to take control again. Like the "nothing is free" concept, etc. And I know he needs more socializing as he is really not getting any on his walks.

So to cut to the chase. 1 - I feel bad neutering at 7 months (will be almost 8 months when procedure is done) , but is this an OK age? I have seen the debate over 1 year vs. 16 weeks, but 7-8 months seems closer to a year. I know he's not done growing, but size wise he already looks like a full grown Lab.

2 - My vet is going to charge us $450 for the procedure. The SPCA charges $100. Besides the obvious that I know and trust my vet, is there a bad side to getting it done through SPCA? Money is always tight and that $350 difference is huge to us. At the same time I don't want to take him somewhere where he might run into issues. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Senior Dog
    Don't really have any experience with the SPCA question (I would imagine it depends on the quality of your local SPCA and who they use), but I did want to mention that most of the behavioral issues you are describing need to be addressed with training - neutering (either now or in a few months) will do little if anything to change those as they are not sexually driven.

While it is best to wait until about 18 months (when the growth plates generally close), plenty of dogs are neutered younger than that and do just fine, so while I wouldn't advise doing it in hopes of better behavior, if it is necessary in order to have a place to board him, etc., it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

As for age, we had ours done at 6 months. He is our fur child, never to show, never to hunt, just our family member. We weighed both sides and talked to the vet about it extensively. It was the best decision for our family. So I think, get all the info sit down and make a decision that works for your family.

As for who does it, I chose our vet because I was more comfortable with her. However if funds are a concern I'd get the vets name and such that does it at SPCA and check them out then if comfortable go for it. Sometimes it's local vets "giving back" doing them.

Yes, socialize!! Definitely another class and possibly a puppy play group or facility.

I wish you the best of luck. An informed decision that works for your family will be the correct one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

Check out Friends of Animals and see if your vet accepts their certificates. My vet charges $300 for a spay, but accepts Friends of Animals certificates which knocks the price down to $90. I don't know if FoA includes bloodwork and pain meds. It's $64 for a dog neuter.

Friends of Animals - Spay and Neuter Certificates
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

House Broken
    None of his issues will be corrected by neutering. All his issues can be "fixed" by training, socialization, lots of practice and consistency.I don't like to neuter until a dog is mature and growth plates have closed. I would recommend getting into a basic obedience class asap. Work with him, get him under control, get him to a point where it is enjoyable having him around others, when on a walk with distractions and then worry about where you will get him neutered.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (09-06-2014), Paul0130 (09-05-2014), windycanyon (09-05-2014)

Agree with others. Don't rush to neuter. I think if you get the behavior problems under control, you should be fine with regards to the boarding place. They probably told you to neuter him because they are ignorant and think his balls have something to do with his poor behavior. If you can work with him and show that he has manners when you take him back, it shouldn't matter that he isn't yet neutered. If it does, find another boarding place.

I think 7 months is too young. I had my first Lab neutered at 7 months of age, and even though he was around the same weight that he ended up being as an adult at that age, he wasn't done growing. They can continue to fill out and mature without getting physically bigger or adding weight. Luke never developed the broader head he should have had in addition to other more masculine features. Maybe that isn't important to you, but there can be health ramifications as well, so there's a lot to consider. At 7 months, you are flirting with the definition of early spay/neuter a little too closely IMO. I have a 4.5 month old male puppy now and he won't be neutered until he's at least 2 years old.

ETA: As far as where to have it done, I wouldn't personally use my local SPCA or any other low cost clinic. I work with rescue and two of my rescue friends also volunteer at a local low cost spay/neuter clinic (not SPCA, it's run by the county). They don't do pre-op bloodwork (one of the ways they keep costs down) and my one friend tells me all the time about how they lose animals during the procedures. Not that the vets are incompetent, but when you don't do bloodwork prior to surgery, you risk operating on a dog that has some kind of pre-existing condition they can't survive under anesthesia.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

These are not testosterone related issues, these are training issues. If only it were that easy to training a dog! Get on the training ASAP whether or not you decide to neuter him now or later.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014), windycanyon (09-05-2014)

Also know that not all vets charge the same price and sometimes it's good to have a second vet to go to. We paid $275 (all meds and bloodwork etc) to do our 2 boys, one at 8 years and one at 4 years.

Wasn't there someone on here just today or the other day who posted about doing a low cost spay and the vet left ovary tissue in and is looking at another operation now. Neuters are a lot easier, but I think I would opt for a real vet vs. a quickie.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

I completely agree that neutering will not change any of the behavior. He sounds like a normal lab teenager who just needs some training and socialization to learn and mature socially. As far as the neuter location, I would recommend asking the ASPCA what will happen if he has a problem post surgery. Usually when a vet performs a surgery he/she will then treat any post operative issues without an additional charge. I worked at a vet office in high school and college, and a remember a client coming in with a dog who had an infected incision. The dog had been spayed at a low cost clinic and they did not offer follow up care. The person then ended up paying quite a bit to have the incision taken care of. Some clinics may provide follow up and some may not- I would definitely recommend asking about follow up care/ post operative issues and how they are handled.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

neutering will absolutely have zero impact on his behaviour. that requires training, consistency and appropriate amounts of physical and mental exercise daily.

many low cost neuter clinics are wonderful. You are best to do research locally and talk to people that have used that specific clinic. For most dogs it's fine and you can put the savings in an account for other vet emergency.

a huge number of dogs are fixed at 6-7 months and live great wonderful healthy lives. there are benefits to waiting yes but also I don't think it's the end of the world to do it now. but again, this will have ZERO impact on his behaviour.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (09-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos