Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Dog

asking for good wishes, good healing

for those of you who don't know, my husband is going to mt. sinai , in nyc, on tues , to have his ankle fused, bone graft, and achilles stretching. this is all from a motorcycle accident more than 32 yrs ago (pre me). he's actually lucky to have his leg, damaged as it is. it was a compound fracture of the tib, fib, close to the ankle so throughout the years, besides the leg shortening, the arthritis has fused his bones and he is in constant pain. we've done the motrin until he had perforated ulcers (he thinks more is better). he's done the oxy till i said NO MORE and he' s on tramadol with no relief. I'm sure it doesn't help that he is a butcher and stands on his feet about 9 hours a day.

so, the time has come, and the dr who originally put him together, after 3 surgeries, recommended this guy for this particular surgery. of course, he doesn't take my insurance, but thankfully, my union and catastrophic insurance, will cover the costs.
    I'm not sure how many days in the hospital, as he said 3 because they like you out before you get an infection.
    he has 10 days in a splint, 6 weeks in a cast, 6 weeks in a non weight bearing boot. and at least 4 months out of work, if his boss actually saves his job. he should, because nick works like a freaking horse and he knows it.

nick is probably undiagnosed ADHD and is always in motion, working, doing something. these next 4 months are going to be some test. god only knows. and of course, i live in a split level house, but nick feels he can maneuver on crutches like he did when he was 30. me, not so sure. i also found out, that i can get 1200 hours of a licensed home health care aide, from a licensed agency that i nearly had to have a fist fight (kidding) to convince him, that it is a good thing, so at least i WILL BE ABLE TO LEAVE THE HOUSE. let her change the bedding , do his wash, make him lunch and leave him to his privacy that he so desperately says he wants. we shall see. first , let him have the surgery, and then i will call for the evaluation. when i mentioned they can help him shower, i thought he had emoji eyes that would pop right out of his head. me thinks it's gonna be sponge baths for the first 10 days anyway but I'm keeping my yap shut.

so, i ask for some lab board wonders. mojo. good wishes, prayers, whatever.
    dr feels that scraping away the arthritis, and fusing (it's fused anyway) will have him pain free. nick thinks he will be running with the kids. me, not so much but let the pain be gone.

of course, it's not till tues so i will update as we go along.
    thanks friends, i know you can help me get thru this. and we all know, that this is really not the worst of the worst. just tuff for nick to get thru.

good thing he's a bit deaf, so i can mumble and not get killed.

I hope the surgery goes smoothly and his recovery is quick and uneventful. Oh gosh, the thought of having to give my husband a sponge bath- gah! The thought of trying to talk him into letting a home health aide do it- double gah!! Sending you both all the best!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

bett (09-04-2014)

Senior Dog
    he will do his own sponge bath, please.

Prayers and good wishes that he will get relief from the pain and have a fast recovery.
    My husband is half deaf, too, and I never thought it a good thing but am now rethinking this! It just might save you.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

bett (09-04-2014)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Best wishes all goes well. Men can be exhausting when sick, if you can get home health I'd say go for it for sure!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibbysmom For This Useful Post:

bett (09-04-2014)

Sending prayers for a successful surgery. A fused ankle joint with no pain is much better than what he is enduring now.

Also sending good thoughts to you to be able to get through this with Nick's personality. Duct tape him down, give him the remote, computer, and a bunch of puzzles and tell him you see him in 4 months, ah, with occasional meals, if he's good.

FYI, DB had a horrible hand injury which required reconstruction of bone. As I remember, about the same recovery time. Doc recommended he shave a portion of his arm, them encase the hand and lower arm in a plastic bag to take a shower. Wonder if that would work for Nick once he gets past the initial recovery. He can sit in the tub with his foot up on the side. The shaving was to help when removing the tape. DB also had to keep his hand elevated as much as possible. Will Nick have to do that? If so, it might keep him stationary for a while.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

bett (09-04-2014)

Senior Dog
    elevated, for sure.
    he'll probably hefty bag and shower .might be easier than getting out of a tub.

Senior Dog
    All good thoughts.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

bett (09-05-2014)

oy you are going to have your hands full! as if they werent already... you'll get him and you through this, good thoughts, mojo, prayers for relief for him, and sanity for you!
    like like like the healthcare aid. they can be such a godsend
    i thought it was this week and that i missed sending you mojo!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

bett (09-05-2014)

Senior Dog
    Best wishes, thoughts and prayer for good healing, a speedy recovery and keeping your sanity. There is only one chance to heal right so hopefully your husband complies with the rules

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JC001 For This Useful Post:

bett (09-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos