Uh-oh, Marking!!

So Murphey is now approaching 10.5 months old. He has had no accidents inside for months! However, within the past couple weeks, he has been actually caught and found evidence where it appears he is/has marked inside the house!!!!!!!! This cannot happen.. and of course when he is outside he is marking and peeing on every bush, flower, blade of grass and tree in the yard! Was trying to hold off closer to a year/or more before neutering! Any suggestions! When he was caught he got a very loud No to startle. But the other apparent two times was when noone around or when noone noticed. Have cleaned the areas with the enzyme cleaner. I have never owned a male dog before and this was always my fear and reason for not doing so sooner-- marking and doing so in the house!!!!! Help!!!!

Correct him when he does that. Same thing when he was a puppy. Marking or not, soiling the house is forbidden, period.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

How long has Murphey been leg lifting? A month or so? Just started? See, I don't believe those first leg lifts are marking, particularly in your own house. Marking is to let other dogs know "Murphey was here!" He doesn't have to mark in your own house, everybody there already knows him and what place he holds in the family.

My theory is you have to train the boys twice. First on horizontal surfaces, grass ok, carpet not. Then again on vertical surfaces, trees ok, people and furniture legs not. Note your dog can find people and furniture legs outside so I don't think it's only an inside/outside thing. Plus there are vertical surfaces inside sometimes too, that other dogs have pee'd on; there's one at my Vet's.

Whether my theory is fact or not I think it gives you a new way of looking at this, you need to watch him like you did when he was little and train him again. This outlook sort of reduces the angst and simplifies things. I did that. I still have to watch him at the dumb corner my Vet built into his counter but I notice there's often pee on the floor at that spot, from the non-leg lifters. Outside we have leash manners, no marking till we get to a stretch where I say it's ok (after all, who's walk is it anyway? The poor dog gets to mark sometime ) And off leash I don't care and usually he just wants to go, go, go and exploring and running take precedence over marking.

To reduce his inclination in the house you can wipe down suspect areas with vinegar every couple of days for a few months to keep him away from them and then he will most likely get the idea. But you do have to watch him too, just like when he was little. If he likes vinegar of course it probably won't work. If an area is upholstered test on a small patch first.

You need to go back to square one.... NO free house time unsupervised. You need to catch him in the act and make it well known that it is not acceptable in the house.

It's a training issue, pure and simple.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos