Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

Preference of playmates (male vs female)

Just an 'I'm curious' question.

Does anyone else's dog have a preference over which sex they'll play with?

We've had DD since he was 8 weeks old (debatable; we think he was younger). He's fully socialized, living in a neighborhood of almost as many dogs as people, he's been to puppy classes, we take him as many places as possible (literally; this dog's passport has more stamps than some people!)... and he's two and a half now. Loves all people and dogs, never met a stranger!

But he prefers to only really play with other male dogs. He's never mean to female dogs, he just won't engage in play. Like, turn his back on them and ignore them. He'll rub noses, say 'hi', stuff like that. He never snaps, he's never scared. Just totally uninterested in playing with them! At all!

Is it weird, or is that normal? My dog is so quirky!

I think Duke prefers the ladies, except for my daughter's Yorkie, Sophie. She's just a little diva and doesn't like anybody. He seems to prefer the hounds though. My sister's dog is a female bassett and he really liked her although she was indifferent to him. We've just recently moved to Florida and he seems "taken" with one neighbor's little hound dog. There are three dachunds and a mini schnauzer on the other side and he ignores them. The schnauzer peed on Duke's face when they first met so I don't think they'll ever be buddies. They are pretty yappy and he doesn't like yappy dogs either (male OR female), just walks away and ignores them.

Haven't notice a preference with Archie. He definitely does not tolerate another dog trying to hump him, but otherwise, he plays with them all.

No preferences here. Mel is very friendly and not dominant at all. She gets along with all okay dogs regardless of their sex, and I must admit that most of the pups we hang around with are boys, but it's just because girls are pretty rare in our neighborhood. Well, there is a female cocker spaniel cross Mel doesn't like and barks at, but I guess it's because this one used to growl and bark at her when she was a little puppy, so I sort of understand her unusual behavior as I'd probably do the same thing.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Oban seems to like the girls but there are a couple of males he plays with too. For their part most girls seem to really like him and I've always wondered if it's because he is intact. Several of the girls' owners tell me their girl likes him more than most other dogs.

You can never tell though. We used to meet a Newfie girl and a Berner boy. Oban loved Chloe, who mostly had eyes only for me. But we met one day when Chloe was laid up and not with her Berner housemate. Oban and that Berner acted like they'd been best friends for ages and had a wild, rollicking play while we two owers scratched our heads in wonderment. Usually Oban doesn't even appear to see that Berner.

Rocket is indifferent. You wanna play, I'll play, says he.

Senior Dog
    When Kimber was younger, she didn't care- play was play. Later, after age 3, she seemed to seek out dogs that had a certain energy-level and were a little submissive to her. The sex didn't matter.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Zoey likes submissive, calm dogs. Sex doesnt matter. She isnt a rough dog and doesnt like hardcore play, just a little chase here and there. She just likes to hang out with doggie friends

Luna doesn't care who you are, what color, what size, what sex... she just wants to play with ya.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Jax likes everyone, even if they are growling and stuff. He just wants rpm PLAY.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos