15 moth old lab with hip issues

Long story short our lab has a hip that pops in and out of joint. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Hip Hound Brace? (403 Forbidden) Jax is only 15 months but it seems to happen mostly when he is playing hard with other dogs. Im wondering if we used this brace during those times would it postpone the arthritis, surgery, etc.

Our Vet is checking to see if the Triple Pelvic Osteotomy is an option. I don't know about If that would fix it forever or if he'd require more surgery later. I don't know what to think or do. I'm overwhelmed that my baby may have a major surgery.

All advice is appreciated!

House Broken
    No experience with the brace. I would think your boy would be too old for the TPO....but maybe not. Have you guys discussed the FHO? Indy had that a couple weeks ago and he is doing awesome

If i were you, I'd consult an ortho vet. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

Jax's Mom (09-09-2014)

Indybindy,
    The vet is calling the ortho vet to see since he is right at the cut off age, she doubts it's an option. Before we do anything we are going to get a second opinion. It's crazy because his X-Ray looked good hip wise. So we shall see we discussed all the surgical options since she was consulting the ortho vet to see.what he thinks.
    Thanks for your advice!!

If the HD is mild and the dog has no symptoms, I wouldn't go the surgical route.

Put him on joint supplements, if he needs to lose weight to be on the leaner side - do so. Dpgs with joint issues need a good muscle mass to protect the problematic joints, so keep him in good physical shape with low impact exercises.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Jax's Mom (09-10-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos