Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5k tomorrow!!! Wow, what a journey to get here... (Long, sorry)

Well tomorrow is my very first race!! I'm pretty much stoked!

Earlier in the summer I decided that the 20 lbs I've gained since getting married just had to go. Pants were too tight and I didn't like what I saw in the mirror.
    Also, I wanted to feel better. In high school and my early twenties I always felt pretty athletic, ready in a moment to play ball or do whatever sounded fun. But lately I'd gotten to where I just felt tired, sore and plain old.
    For instance (and it's sad that this even stands out as a "wake-up moment" for me), I was at a big get-together where some guys were playing basketball. My brother in law (a few years older than me) was standing next to me when he said something ornery and someone tried to pinch his arm in response. He evades by bounding out of the way and side-hopping over to the ball court. I watched him and thought to myself "I'm only 27 years old and I don't feel near that good. I feel way too tired and I don't even know if I can move that effortlessly anymore."

Thats when I started looking for options. I wanted to lose weight but I also wanted to gain my energy back and feel athletic again. I looked at boot camps, crossfit and all that. Then I started thinking about how I've always wished I could run a 5k. I've always said I want to get to where I can do it and then I'd sign up for a race. Finally, I realized the only way it will happen, the only way I'll stick to a plan and get moving enough to not only feel better but meet my goal of a 5k is to first sign up and pay the fee.
    So I did!!!

From that point on I've been on fire in my determination to make this happen. I've been eating better, researching nutrition and fitness concepts, and working out like a man who means business about getting back in shape. I set a few side goals apart from just finishing the 5k. I decided I wanted to lose 30 pounds overall and hopefully 20 by the race. I wanted to finish the race in less than 30 minutes (pretty good for a first timer, I understand).

I've had a couple bumps along the way. Somewhere around the end of week six, my appendix decided to go bad on me. I ran a little over two miles that morning not realizing yet that the pain in my stomach was appendicitis. The next night I was in the hospital. With the surgery and recovery period I ended up falling behind about two weeks in my training.
    I also hit a wall with the weight loss. After the surgery it's like I couldn't get past the 10-12 lbs I'd already lost. It just floating there.

Then em two weeks ago we took a week long trip to Florida and I spent the week trying to not gain any weight but still eating enough of whatever I wanted to not lose. I think this saved me from burning out and maybe even reset my metabolism out of diet mode. After being back for a week and starting eating for weight loss again, I'm down 4.4 lbs this week!!!

That said, I haven't met the "20 lbs by race day" goal but I have lost 15!!! And it doesn't end tomorrow. I still intend to lose all 30 lbs by the holidays. I'm halfway there!!
    As for finishing the race in under 30 minutes, I've changed that goal to finishing in under 25 mins. It'll be tough for sure, but based on my most recent workouts I really think I can do it.

Sum all that up to say this: despite the bumps in the road and the plateaus, I've made a lot of progress, I'm still making progress and this doesn't even end when I've reached my weight goal. I've discovered a new way of living and I feel awesome!!
    That hop-step over to the ball court? Piece of cake.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

That's awesome! Good luck, and let us know how you do! Good for you for motivating yourself and for continuing to work to reach your goals even after serious medical setbacks and just life in general. It's not easy! You rock!
    Charlie and Burton

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-12-2014)

Good for you! You go, guy!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-12-2014)

Senior Dog
    That's great! It's wonderful when you can see progress. Good luck on the 5K!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-12-2014)

Good luck on race! Great goals and motivation!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

Good for you! You won't be able to believe the high you'll get during and after you finish that race. It's the best feeling! Congrats.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

That is awesome! Good luck tomorrow!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

I remember you posting about this and I'm so very glad for you! As I recall, the race benefits Wounder Warriors. Doubly good. Good luck to you and enjoy the race.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

Good luck tomorrow!
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

You're doing great! Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the feeling. It's great to hear that the 5K is just a step on the way to continued health and energy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Carlos (09-13-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos