Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I create peace in my house for the next 10 days?

I am dog sitting my parent's 1 year old Boston Terrier for the next 10 days and I'm already ready to pull my hair out. The dogs had me up at 7 this morning which I wasn't thrilled about and they have been going non-stop for 2.5 hours. Max is panting like a maniac and keeps flopping his body down on the hardwood floor because he's so hot and tired but he just won't stop. I just put him in his crate because I couldn't listen to his barking at Sam any longer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can create a peaceful atmosphere with a dog who is a non-stop bundle of energy. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it over and over again this week, this dog makes my lab look like a lazy slug!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Having a little boston girl myself the only way you are going to get any peace is to crate. Ginger will be 9 yrs old this November and we have noticed that she has really settled down this past year. Even at 8 yrs almost 9 we have to watch her when she plays especially with the neighbors pup, I have to go out and physically pick her up and bring her inside to take a break and rest. When we first brought Ginger home at 2 yrs Coleman, Tootsie, Bailey and Sarah were all passed out on the floor while Ginger was still ready to go they have a lot of energy.

Thankfully we are headed in to cooler weather but you will still have to watch him so he doesn't get over heated. With his little snub nose he can't cool off as quickly or as easily as a dog with a longer nose.

You can also try a water bottle that helps us with Ginger when she was younger and wouldn't settle, helps with all of them. I just have to bring it out and they all settle down. Bostons are one breed stolen often and used for bait because they don't know when to stop so if you want to be able to enjoy your time together over the next week take time outs with him crating if needed. I bet he is adorable. Does he snore?
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

We've puppy sat 2 times already 4+days and 14+days and it was a Emma litter mate and the our neighbors 09 month golden. It was 1.5 days of constant play no matter how tired they were. They hardly napped and slept. In my case Emma was the bundle of energy. We crated when they need separation. But then both time the other dog was trying to nap and Emma wouldn't stop trying to initiate play. Emma got a good correction, that she learned her lesson. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Quote Originally Posted by labsnewfy View Post
    Thankfully we are headed in to cooler weather but you will still have to watch him so he doesn't get over heated. With his little snub nose he can't cool off as quickly or as easily as a dog with a longer nose.
    i was kind of worried about his breathing. He seems much more winded than Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by labsnewfy View Post
    You can also try a water bottle that helps us with Ginger when she was younger and wouldn't settle, helps with all of them. I just have to bring it out and they all settle down. Bostons are one breed stolen often and used for bait because they don't know when to stop so if you want to be able to enjoy your time together over the next week take time outs with him crating if needed. I bet he is adorable. Does he snore?
    The water bottle is a good idea! I'm sure I have one from when Sam was a puppy. The little guy seems to finally be worn out. He jumped up next to me in the chair and fell asleep. I can't believe how loud his snores are!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

It gets a teeny tiny bit better each day.

Is the other dog crate trained just barking because he can see? how long have you tried crating for? have you tried crating with a safe but fun chew? antler, marrow bone, whatever.

If you leash the other dog, does your dog go rest or try to get at them?

last week I dogsat a BIG belgian shepherd mix puppy (like 10-12 months we think). OMG. I got little to no sleep, he was up at 6am and was go go go all day. We did LONG walks, and play sessions then forced rest. Things got better by the end and they were relaxing more quickly but ick.

Max is crate trained. I think the barking is part of his play. He stands back from Sam and barks and bounces on his feet. Sam will try to lay down but Max just climbs all over him biting his ears and barking. I did put Max's crate in a separate room and he is better when he doesn't see us. This afternoon has been a little more peaceful.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

awww Max is a cute little guy. Hopefully some of his energy is just excitement from being on his own little vacation. They are an amazing little dog very loving, playful snuggle bugs. Ginger is very chatty she will bark until the neighbors pup Myrtle hears her and comes out to play, then she stands there and barks in her face. She does it to Sarah too.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

I dog sit for my neighbor's Boston Terrier so I know what you are experiencing. They are very happy bouncy dogs and are exhausting! As funny as BT are, Sam will really make you appreciate Max!
    No help to offer, just empathy!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    No advice except I love reading that it's not just labs that can be exhausting with their bundles of energy.

I am dog sitting for my brothers 4 dogs which includes a little 1 year old terrier mix of some sort. Cute and sweet as can be but im exausted

She is an absolute lunatic, my lab and corgi cant keep up with her. She woke up the whole house at 6am today and shes been going non stop.

All i can suggest is crating your little house guest so you can have a little peace, thats what ive been doing.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos