Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scary Incident At PetsMart

Went to PetsMart for some odds and ends. As I was leaving the check out line with the shopping cart, had to maneuver past a lady with two small dogs waiting outside the grooming department door. One of the dogs, white, was trying its best to get out of its collar. The other, black, was just standing there. Was trying to be very careful to stay far enough away so the little white dog would be away from the cart.

Get almost past them and the little black dog got out of its collar and was sniffing the mat at the entrance. I alerted the lady. Wouldn't you know it, at that time someone walked in causing both automatic doors to open and out goes the black dog. The lady is now trying to get the white dog to cooperate and get out the door. I quickly walked up and told her to let me hold the white dog while she went after the other. Before I could get there, the white dog slipped out of its collar too.

Threw my purse in the cart and must have yelled "Two dogs loose" cause a PetsMart employee came running up. As I got outside the door, she had grabbed the white dog and another person who was approaching the store got ahold of the other.

It could have been so bad if they had run. It's a very busy area with a small restaurant on one side and Menards on the other. Those little rascals should have been in harnesses. They sure did not seem to be well collar trained. Or maybe they knew they were destined for the groomer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Bamps (09-13-2014)

Senior Dog
    NOOOOOOOooooooooo

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    This is really sad. Unfortunately, I have no sympathy for people like this.

That's too bad, poor little dogs.

Oh, God, scary situation to be sure.

Super scary. I have heard people with little dogs say they don't need harnesses because their dogs are "too little to pull". Aargh.

So scary!

Oh wow. That was so nice of you Fran.

Quick thinking Fran. My sister has two little dogs and Only one has a harness at he moment. She has another one for the other dog, but doesn't put it on unless on a walk. It is scary. I had that problem with my last lab Maya. She knew as a puppy how to back out of a collar. I was introduced to the Martingale collar after that incident. Now I keep Wylie in one as his day to day collar w/tags. Even though he's got the Blocky head, I don't want to take any chances with him doing that.
    Hidden Content

Andy
    Hidden Content
    Wylie 2/20/13

Rainbow Bridge Maya 2003-2013

How scary! Glad you acted so quickly. I hope it taught that lady a lesson and she turned around and bought 2 harnesses.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos