Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Expensive tummy ache!

Lark was supposed to go in for a few vaccines on Wednesday evening but that morning, at about 4:15 am I was awakened to *hork* *hork* *hork* *bleaarrgghhh* coming from Larky's crate. Shoot out of bed, take her outside, clean up the little pile of vomit and everyone back to bed. 5:15, repeat performance; 8:00 am repeat performance. I was working that day so all day I'm worried that I'll come home to find Lark passed out in a puddle of puke. Nope, she looks OK.

Take her to the vet and ask that she be checked over before doing any vaccines. "Well, her belly feels... not quite normal, but she doesn't seem to be in pain, but something's still not what I would expect, I think we should do x-rays." Since both my labs have had surgery for an obstruction, I'm a bit hyper-ready to believe she might have eaten something in the yard, sticks, a hickory nut brought in by a passing squirrel, an old bone fragment carried in by the neighborhood fox, you name it.

OK, x-rays inconclusive. Got a shot of Cerenia. Endured a short speech about what crazy things labs will eat- toys, underwear, dishtowels, blah, blah, as if I was not acutely aware of their tendencies. Was told that if she continued to have problems, like if she kept vomiting or didn't poop, she'd need barium. Quiet night but then, of course, she threw up again in the morning- hadn't eaten anything but a legit vomit. Back to the vet for barium on Thursday morning.

Nothing on barium study. I got a call on Friday morning, saying she was ready to go home that afternoon. Another call a few hours later, she just threw up again, do I still want to come to get her? Yes, please. Two more episodes of vomiting Friday night after eating tiny amounts of rice and finely chopped boiled chicken- ugh! But by Saturday morning, no alien squeaking coming from her belly any longer, no vomiting, wants to eat! Yay! She does better when I give her overcooked rice and baby food chicken rather than chopped up real chicken so I usually keep a supply of baby food chicken on hand. Slowly but surely we're making progress.

If these crazy dogs hadn't had obstruction surgery already, I wouldn't jump on x-rays and barium so quickly. As it is, looks like Lark had a $350 tummy ache!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Lark was supposed to go in for a few vaccines on Wednesday evening but that morning, at about 4:15 am I was awakened to *hork* *hork* *hork* *bleaarrgghhh* coming from Larky's crate. Shoot out of bed, take her outside, clean up the little pile of vomit and everyone back to bed. 5:15, repeat performance; 8:00 am repeat performance. I was working that day so all day I'm worried that I'll come home to find Lark passed out in a puddle of puke. Nope, she looks OK.

Take her to the vet and ask that she be checked over before doing any vaccines. "Well, her belly feels... not quite normal, but she doesn't seem to be in pain, but something's still not what I would expect, I think we should do x-rays." Since both my labs have had surgery for an obstruction, I'm a bit hyper-ready to believe she might have eaten something in the yard, sticks, a hickory nut brought in by a passing squirrel, an old bone fragment carried in by the neighborhood fox, you name it.

OK, x-rays inconclusive. Got a shot of Cerenia. Endured a short speech about what crazy things labs will eat- toys, underwear, dishtowels, blah, blah, as if I was not acutely aware of their tendencies. Was told that if she continued to have problems, like if she kept vomiting or didn't poop, she'd need barium. Quiet night but then, of course, she threw up again in the morning- hadn't eaten anything but a legit vomit. Back to the vet for barium on Thursday morning.

Nothing on barium study. I got a call on Friday morning, saying she was ready to go home that afternoon. Another call a few hours later, she just threw up again, do I still want to come to get her? Yes, please. Two more episodes of vomiting Friday night after eating tiny amounts of rice and finely chopped boiled chicken- ugh! But by Saturday morning, no alien squeaking coming from her belly any longer, no vomiting, wants to eat! Yay! She does better when I give her overcooked rice and baby food chicken rather than chopped up real chicken so I usually keep a supply of baby food chicken on hand. Slowly but surely we're making progress.

If these crazy dogs hadn't had obstruction surgery already, I wouldn't jump on x-rays and barium so quickly. As it is, looks like Lark had a $350 tummy ache!
    Look in her favorite spots and you just might find something she hacked up when you weren't looking! With mine, it's usually a cotton sock! Glad Lark is feeling better.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

Real Retriever
    Thing is ....you just never know.

Creek picked up something while we were walking; thank goodness she decided she didn't like the taste after all....it was an old long bone of some specie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Woofie For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

I'm beginning to think that the breeder or rescue group where you get a Lab should say, start a savings account now. Your probably going to need it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

Senior Dog
    i think they really try and to kill us.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

Georgie (09-14-2014), kelsyg (09-14-2014), smartrock (09-14-2014)

I hope Lark is feeling better!

Bruce has a bad habit of picking up rocks. He's pretty good with "leave it", and we practice this every day. Still I'm always hyper vigilent watching both dogs. And this is one of the big reasons I got insurance on these two!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

None of our other 5 (non-lab) dogs ever ate all sorts of stuff, just grass when they wanted to throw up. Our house is too small for Lark to have a special place to barf that we wouldn't have stepped in by now. Neither of them are allowed on the second floor without us, and Lark's crated at night, nor in the basement unless we're going straight out to the car. And I pooper scoop the back yard frequently enough that I'd have found any little presents out there from her by now. Geez, I think they do try to kill us, when they're not licking us with the tongues they just finished licking their privates with! Our main vet is ridiculously reasonable in his charges, I think his associates might set some of their own prices for exams. If she weren't so darn loveable...

Vomiting is bad enough. Continued vomiting with nothing of "interest" coming up, concerning. Glad Lark is feeling better even if it means your wallet is empty.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

Hope she continues to improve. I can relate- I just spent a small fortune on my dog's mystery illness. Good thing they are so cute and lovable.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-14-2014)

What an ordeal! Hope for more improvement. Keep us posted!!
    Charlie and Burton

18. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

smartrock (09-15-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos