Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Puppy

New puppy with parvovirus

Hi everyone. I'm new here but am looking for some outsider opinions on what happened to us recently when we brought our new chocolate lab puppy home. First, some background on the litter. The mother of the puppies died the day after delivering 8 live puppies. The breeder was tube feeding the puppies for a day or two before she found a surrogate mother to nurse them. All was going fine. Then the surrogates milk dried up. The pups were then brought to the breeders friend, who had another lab with a litter 4-5 days old. They ate in shifts, and all puppies were doing good.

I gave a deposit the first time we met when the puppies were 4 days old. That's when we learned the mother passed away. We made the hour long drive to visit the puppies every couple weeks. I had contact via text with the breeder whenever I had a question and she kept us up to date on them including pictures. I had no doubt that she was taking great care of the puppies.

Fast forward to september 4, when we were going to bring our 6 week old puppy home. They had all gotten their first shots that day and were tested for worms. 2 other families were picking their puppies up the same evening. The following day, I took our puppy out to go to the bathroom. She squatted to pee, then walked a few feet and tried to pee again. We had a previously scheduled vet appointment that afternoon, so I decided to ask about it then. I thought she might have a bladder infection. The vet didn't seem to think so. He said it could be from the stress of going to a new home.

After we got home, she kept doing it. My daughter helped me get a urine sample, but the office was already closed. That evening, our puppy wasn't acting like a normal, spunky puppy. She had not eaten any of her food and drank very little that day. Then she vomited what little water she did drink. . I knew something was wrong.

The next morning I was at the vet as soon as they opened with our sick pup and the urine sample. They whisked me into an exam room. She was checked for parvovirus, and it came back positive. . I immediately called the breeder and told her to have the remaining pups checked, and the pups from the surrogate. They all tested negative.

The breeder was just as upset as I was, and offered to come here to return my money. I told her not to come. I didn't want her to bring this back to the rest of the puppies. I couldn't give our puppy back to her for risk of bringing the virus back to her house. I decided to try and treat her. We loved our new puppy and were willing to try.

Our puppy ppt was taken back to isolation and hooked up to an Iv and given antibiotics. The vet would check in with me before she left that afternoon. The puppy had pulled her Iv, so it was put back in. The vet checked on her again that evening and she had pulled her Iv again. She was able to get it back in, and put a cone on her. The next morning it was out again, and she was as spunky as could be. The vet thought maybe she had a mild case and let us take her home with a special diet, antibiotics, and some probiotics to put in her food.

By afternoon, she began vomiting again. We brought her back to the vet. She did ok on Monday, but not great. The vet said she would check her white blood count Tuesday morning and see if she had any left to fight this. Her white blood count was 22,000 on Saturday. They were down to 700 Tuesday. . We decided to euthanize to end her suffering. We were heartbroken.

Has as anyone ever heard of 1 pup in a litter getting parvo and none of the others? The breeder spoke with 2 makers of the vaccine thinking that may have caused it. They say if one pup got a bad dose, more of them would have gotten it too.

I have eave some knowledge of parvovirus and know how serious it is. I'm thinking the breeder thinks she got it here at our house. She became I'll less than 24 hours after we brought her home. The incubation period ranges, from what I have read, from 3-10 days. She could not have gotten it here. Now my texts are being ignored when I asked her if she plans on refunding my money. I feel cheated. Cheated because we have no puppy to love, and cheated because we did everything we were required to do per her "contract."

Im not the "sue happy" type of person, but it really isn't fair that I'm out the cost of the puppy, and more than what I paid for the puppy for the treatment. I am getting over the hurt of losing our puppy, and now it's changing to anger because I'm getting no reply.

Any suggestions? Thanks for listening even if you don't reply. It feels good to get it off my chest. I will check back in later when I get home from bowling. I hope this all made sense. If not, feel free to ask questions.

First, again I am very sorry for the loss of your pup.

Next...I see red flags all over. No reputable breeder will allow their buyers to be with the pups before they are five weeks old. Any one of those visitors could have brought the parvo in with them. Also, in many states it is illegal to sell puppies younger than eight weeks so be sure to check into that.

There are some breeders here, hopefully they will chime in for you. If I were you, I would PM Piccadilly.
    Charlie and Burton

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by charliebbarkin View Post
    First, again I am very sorry for the loss of your pup.

Next...I see red flags all over. No reputable breeder will allow their buyers to be with the pups before they are five weeks old. Any one of those visitors could have brought the parvo in with them. Also, in many states it is illegal to sell puppies younger than eight weeks so be sure to check into that.

There are some breeders here, hopefully they will chime in for you. If I were you, I would PM Piccadilly.
    Yes, this.

Have you tried calling her or just texts? Texts are not a good way to communicate. I would certainly look into her through the BBB, online research, and her local Lab club. She should refund your money and even pay for the vet bill since you had the puppy less than 48 hours before she was diagnosed.

Sorry to hear it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

Oh this is horrible. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately I have to wonder exactly what your health guarantee said? Perhaps your only option under the guarantee was to let the breeder come get the puppy and return your money. Kudos to you for sticking by the puppy but it may mean you are legally without recourse now. I don't think I can comment further other than to say it's not fair and life stinks sometimes. Poor little puppy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

Aww poor baby. So sorry you are going thru this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

I'm so sorry. You must be devastated. There are several red flags about this others have pointed out. If the breeder is of any worth as a human being she will make things right with you as best as can be. I know your loss can't be replaced, but some integrity is expected of the breeder in this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShoalsRebel For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

i am so so sorry for your loss, so horrible to see your puppy go like that, be so sick

Just in your first paragraph there were quite a few red flags unfortunately. no good reputable breeder would allow the puppies to leave at 6 weeks, in fact it's against the law in many states (even with the pup, they are learning from littermates at that age).

again so sorry for your loss.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

So very sorry for your loss. I know how quickly they capture your heart. Rest in peace, baby puppy.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Oh this is horrible. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately I have to wonder exactly what your health guarantee said? Perhaps your only option under the guarantee was to let the breeder come get the puppy and return your money. Kudos to you for sticking by the puppy but it may mean you are legally without recourse now. I don't think I can comment further other than to say it's not fair and life stinks sometimes. Poor little puppy.
    I was thinking along these lines too. I'm a little confused too, the breeder offered to refund you and you decided against it at that time and now have changed your mind?
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ckfalz For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

How awful for you. So sorry.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

Dragonfly (09-19-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos