Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

To Desex or not to desex?

So I have a 1 year old labrador. We did bilateral arthroscopy surgery different story.
    I am considering desexing my pup. What are your thoughts?
    When I first got him I said I wouldn't desex him I didn't see the point he is a very well behaved dog - but my vet needs to check his elbows again which she said she would do for no charge if I desex him under the same anaesthetic but it would be over $1,000 if I don't desex him. So now I feel like I should desex him just for the good price but I would never do it if it's not good for him. My vet said he should definitely be desexed no question but I don't see it to be a necessity. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do it?
    I know he is more likely to put on weight.
    Should I or shouldn't I?

First off, the vet shouldn't charge outrageous prices for nothing. It is good to double up procedures, putting the dog under only once. That's what the savings should be.

I guess my big thing would be can you guarantee 100% that the dog will never get loose to impregnate a female? Knowing the dog has bad elbows, you would then be passing on a genetic issue. I show my dogs, so they NEED to remain intact, but when Jack started having seizures and his show career was over, I had him neutered....just to be safe.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (09-19-2014), emma_Dad (09-18-2014)

I wonder what your Vet's reasoning is? Is the surgery more difficult on an intact dog? I doubt it but I would be asking WHY? The dog will be intact till surgery date anyway so moot point. Very strange pricing.

Have you read our list of articles on the pros and cons of neuter?

Neuter/Spay - Pros, Cons, Risks, Benefits - Research Article Links

IS it better to do two surgeries at once? Is that a big impact on a young system? I don't know but I know in human friends some things have been done separately for the reason the body could only take so much tampering at once and to shorten the period under anaesthetic. Questions to ask your Vet?

Puppy
    Thank you! I should make clear she won't be doing surgery she will be just cutting open the elbows and having a look to make sure it's healed/healing ok - it's very minor. The reason for the extra cost is because "room hire" for arthroscopy and CT scans is a lot hirer then the desexing rooms and it'll probably be students vets doing it.
    I can 100% guarantee my dog won't escape my house is like Fort Knox.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunburn For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (09-18-2014)

Well then, the only thing I know about arthroscopic surgery is we avoided it but I'd be asking how common it is to cut open the elbows to see how healing is progressing? Several folks here have had such surgery on their dog and I don't recall anyone saying that.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-18-2014), Berna (09-18-2014), Charlotte K. (09-18-2014), ckfalz (09-18-2014), Georgie (09-18-2014), Maxx&Emma (09-18-2014), smartrock (09-18-2014), Tanya (09-18-2014)

He had the surgery. Why open the dog up again? That's ridiculous!!

And it's up to you whether you leave your dog intact or not. Read the article that Snowshoe posted and make the decision yourself. But with your dog already having joint issues, I don't think that neutering is the best thing for him.

With that said, if I were you, I'd go to another vet.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Georgie (09-18-2014), Maxx&Emma (09-18-2014)

I too would like to know why he needs to be opened up for a re-check. Sounds weird to me.

Time for a second opinion. Sounds like that's your cheapest option anyways!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

Georgie (09-18-2014)

I have never ever heard of anyone whose dog had surgery for ED say they had to go back to the vet to have it opened up to check the healing. That's not only counterproductive, it puts the dog at risk (any surgery is a risk).

Hopefully, those who've dealt with these surgeries will chime in, and reaffirm that if anything, a simple xray is done. Sounds to me like your vet is looking for money. Is this an orthopedic surgeon, or just a regular vet?

I would definitely go to another vet, and if you can prevent your boy from breeding, then I wouldn't even bother with any neutering. Sounds like your vet drank the animal rights kool aid, and not looked into recent studies showing the harm that neutering can do. Particularly in a young dog.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

Georgie (09-18-2014), Maxx&Emma (09-18-2014)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I have never ever heard of anyone whose dog had surgery for ED say they had to go back to the vet to have it opened up to check the healing. That's not only counterproductive, it puts the dog at risk (any surgery is a risk).

Hopefully, those who've dealt with these surgeries will chime in, and reaffirm that if anything, a simple xray is done. Sounds to me like your vet is looking for money. Is this an orthopedic surgeon, or just a regular vet?

I would definitely go to another vet, and if you can prevent your boy from breeding, then I wouldn't even bother with any neutering. Sounds like your vet drank the animal rights kool aid, and not looked into recent studies showing the harm that neutering can do. Particularly in a young dog.
    Agree with sue - I wouldn't wan't the vet to open it back up and check the healing. You risk doing more damage, slowing down the healing process, not to mention infection by doing this. If you can control the urge to breed, and it isn't an issue, I wouldn't have him fixed.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos