Three Crates Later

Been hunting the perfect crate for Archie for the car. First one was 28" high, about a half inch too tall to fit in the opening in the Jeep. It fits well once past the opening but that means it has to be put in collapsed and set up inside which was very difficult for me.

Back to PetsMart. Their next size down was a 25" tall. Poor Archie looked like he had been stuffed in a sausage in that. He could barely stand up. He could turn around but looked so sorrowful.

Started searching on Amazon and found a 27 inch - perfect. It's a Midwest, very nice quality. Not only was it on prime, it has a front and side door, I can handle easily, Archie is much happier, and it was cheaper than the PetsMart crate and was delivered to the door.

No, it's not his huge crate in the bedroom in which he could probably do gymnastics, but more than adequate for the local trips we make.

Think I'll keep the 28" for longer, less frequent, trips.

It's challenging. I can't fit one in my backseat (not set up ). I had trouble getting one that would fit in my trunk. The trunk opening is small so I had to get a smaller crate than I wanted and smaller than what the trunk would actually hold. So I've been seatbelting the dogs in the back seat. At least until Sam chewed through his seatbelt last week.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

I'm very surprised. You drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, right? I checked them out very closely since I've had two and they were all a 30" high opening. I didn't take my 30" crate but it fits into my 2003 JGC with a 30" opening. The rubber stripping on the top gets a wee bit squished on the way in and out.

I have now bought one of the new 2014 Cherokees and it's opening is only 28" high. So I need a new crate and your report will help me find one that fits.

In case this sounds confusing to anyone a Grand Cherokee and a Cherokee are completely different models.

We have a new Grand Cherokee and the 30" is just a hair too tall while the cargo area has plenty of room for it. Since I want to be able to take it in and out easily, and for short trips, the 28" is perfect. I'm talking trips of 30-40 minutes and less. Anything longer and I'll heft the bigger crate in. If the opening had been a short half inch bigger, the 30" would work perfectly.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos