Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thyroid question.

For about four years, I have suspected that Nikki has a thyroid issue. It was like her metabolism just switched off. She is now 10 1/2. We started getting her tested with Dr Dodds at Hemopet about three years ago but her levels always came back in the OK range. Last year, Dr Dodds recommended that we re-test every year. Today her annual came back as seriously hypothyroid. I received a message from our conventional vet that said in part that she suspected that the sample might be contaminated even though she was there for the preparation. Four months ago, Nikki's potassium levels came back such that it indicated that she had Addison's Disease. The same vet suggested at that point that the lab might be wrong. We re-did that blood work when we did the thyroid and Nikki's potassium came back fine this round.

I haven't met with either of our vets yet (both tomorrow) but my understanding from their messages is that the T4 level from Hemopet is very low in this sample.

Has anyone had an experience with fluctuating levels in potassium and suddenly low T4? I'm not buying into the whole "you had four dogs tested and the one you thought was a problem has a contaminated sample" line. I think they're missing something.

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    If Jean Dodds did all the tests over the years, neg, neg.... and suddenly positive.... I would email her and ask if there is a possibility a mistake was made or contamination occurred. She is great to respond to emails quickly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-19-2014)

Based on notes made by Dr Dodds in the past, our holistic vet is inclined to believe this result but not the potassium test done by a local lab. We are starting Nikki on Soloxine as Dr Dodds recommended and backed by our holistic vet. I guess the way we're doing this now is the theory that majority rules. Personally I've believed that Nikki has had hypothyroidism for years so I'm going with it.

Real Retriever
    If the dog has quite OBVIOUS symptoms of being hypothyroid, they generally are. Has been my experience.

I've had 2 dogs over the years become hypothyroid.

One was a 12yr old Alaskan Malamute who began sleeping a LOT more, hair was dry, appetite hit the toilet, attitude was weird and yes, it came on slow, then fast - one test, prior to starting the Soloxine showed she had nothing left in her system.

Starting the improved her appetite and her energy level.

But the one dog that the soloxine made a HUGE improvement on, was our Pomeranian. Same thing, his symptoms were dry hair, sleeping a lot, foul mood, etc. He had always been a seizure prone dog and had been put on a very small dose of phenobarbital - which the vet believed is what led to becoming hypothyroid.

These 2 dogs never knew of eachother, we had them many years apart from one another - so they didn't even remotely share the same diet type.

Once the little pom started soloxine, the changes were immediate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Woofie For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-20-2014)

Senior Dog
    I wonder if dogs can have hypothyroidism as a result of something like Hashimoto's in humans. I have H and my thyroid levels were obviously on the stereotypical roller coaster leading up to my diagnosis....symptoms hyper/hypo for a while. Just a thought.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-20-2014)

Senior Dog
    Scully started showing signs of hypothyroidism at around 2-3 years old (mainly lethargy, unexplained weight gain and mild hair thinning). Her levels came back as low normal, but my vet, who I trust (or trusted he is now retired) felt that since she was symptomatic, even though her levels were technically in the "normal" range, they might not be high enough for her, so he recommended putting her on Soloxine, which we did. She stayed on it the rest of her life and did very well.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
    If the dog has quite OBVIOUS symptoms of being hypothyroid, they generally are. Has been my experience.

I've had 2 dogs over the years become hypothyroid.

One was a 12yr old Alaskan Malamute who began sleeping a LOT more, hair was dry, appetite hit the toilet, attitude was weird and yes, it came on slow, then fast - one test, prior to starting the Soloxine showed she had nothing left in her system.

Starting the improved her appetite and her energy level.

But the one dog that the soloxine made a HUGE improvement on, was our Pomeranian. Same thing, his symptoms were dry hair, sleeping a lot, foul mood, etc. He had always been a seizure prone dog and had been put on a very small dose of phenobarbital - which the vet believed is what led to becoming hypothyroid.

These 2 dogs never knew of eachother, we had them many years apart from one another - so they didn't even remotely share the same diet type.

Once the little pom started soloxine, the changes were immediate.
    Nikki has never run out of steam with food until recently. She eats less than our Fran who is 30 lbs lighter than she and they are all on a homemade diet. Can you imagine a Lab refusing fresh meat? Poor girl. We started her on Soloxine last night. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

Real Retriever
    Keep us posted!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Woofie For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-24-2014)

Her appetite is back and she was so active today that she threw her back out (we have an appointment with the chiropractor/acupuncturist). She's also more cheerful and focused. The Soloxine is definitely working.

Senior Dog
    One thing to watch out for.....thyroid med is very hard on the adrenals and if she does have any kind of insufficiency, the thyroid would make things worse unless the adrenals were addressed first (i.e., if Addison's is truly involved). I'd have bloodwork done again (soon) to double-check....of course, your vet will probably be wanting to do this anyway just to measure what the Soloxine is doing re: dose appropriateness.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (09-26-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos