Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Ticks

just got a call from a family member who has a 12 week old puggle or whatever you call em. anyway, they are located in upstate NY/syracuse area and discovered a tick on their precious pup. They couldnt use google to remove it themselves so off to the vet they went. The vet told them to ditch the flea/tick collar as they dont work. so I was curious as i dont know how to be prepared for tick season. I think living in ABQ, NM we dont have a tick problem, but figured its good info to have here. looking for any/all ideas on tick prevention and what to do if your dog gets a tick.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Ticks are pretty simple to remove, I just grab and pull out. If you don't get the head out, not a big deal...it can no longer transmit disease aand your dogs body will push the head out on its own over time. Don't try lighting a flame or any of those gimmicks some say will make them back out on their own, doesn't work. You can put a dab of neosporin on the bite if you want. There will be a bump for about a month....and it itches, at least my tick bites do.

For prevention, best to get a topical. And not the cheap stuff at Walmart or the grocery store, those can be harmful. Go for a brand name like Frontline or Advantix. I prefer Frontline, I'm just not comfortable with the active ingredient in Advantix. Personal preference though. And there is a new pill out called Nexguard to kill fleas and ticks, by the makers of Frontline

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Lacey5559 (05-28-2014), voodoo (05-23-2014)

I remember my 1st trip to Australia when I was sleeping out in the bush in a hammock with mosquito net. I woke up covered all over my body from these mite sized ticks that fell from the trees above thru my mosquito net and onto me...I was freaked out as it looked like my skin was moving close up. anyways the locals told me to jump in the ocean as the salt water would rid them. This of course was after they watched me freak out for 30 minutes trying to scrub them away... wonder if the salt water trick would work with dogs and/or our USA larger ticks?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Senior Dog
    Ooh don't believe the yarns about salt water!!! The tiny ticks are the worst to remove, they imbed under the skin.
    We have all different sizes and types of ticks here, bush tick, brown dog tick, paralysis tick etc etc...

The tick collars that focus on ticks are good but sometimes during high incidence times topical is also required.

Nothing beats checking daily for ticks and using your fingertips and touch is much more effective than eyesight. It takes all but 1 min or less.
    The other really good rule is don't let you dog run in long grass areas.
    Another thing to remember when doing the check is don't forget to check between paws, inside ears and mouth!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (07-11-2014), voodoo (05-23-2014)

Check buttholes...on your dog, lol. I frequently find them there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (07-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    Check buttholes...on your dog, lol. I frequently find them there
    You made me burst out laughing

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy0 For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (07-11-2014)

Puppy
    I found one on my little guys tongue the other night!! I have never found one there before. It was not the easiest thing to get off either as I was making him gag as I stuck my hand down his throat. But I got the little booger!!! nasty suckers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MommasBoys For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (07-11-2014)

Max gets very grouchy when i try the topical stuff like Frontline, Advantix, etc.

However the Seresto collar has worked quite well. Had them for a couple months now. Buy it from a vet and you can get a $20 rebate. Form can found with Google.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KenZ71 For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (07-11-2014)

House Broken
    We use a little tool called "The Tick Key". Works great especially since my mitts can't grab those little buggers. Although we have plenty of ticks here the boys seldom pick up one that is imbedded. If they do get one that key works great.
    Hope all is well and have a great day

Fred Henry

Quote Originally Posted by BILBO View Post
    We use a little tool called "The Tick Key". Works great especially since my mitts can't grab those little buggers. Although we have plenty of ticks here the boys seldom pick up one that is imbedded. If they do get one that key works great.
    Was going to suggest this.

Luckily we have not had a problem with tucks.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos