Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adoption question

Ive never adopted a dog I've always bought from a breeder. As you know im in the process of looking for another dog to add to our family. I would like to adopt another lab or even a lab mix. I have two questions 1. My dogs are seen yearly by the vet but I don't vaccinate every year. They get their puppy boosters and their 1 year shot then I vaccinate every 3 years they do get rabies tho. They are on heartworm year round and are tested yearly. Would rescues frown upon them not being vaccinated? My cats same thing I only give kitten shots then 1 year and then just rabies. My cats live in doors and never go out.

Also what is the average adoption fee? The rescues I've been looking at the average is around 250 to 350 which is totally fine with me.

If I understand you correctly you are vaccinating just every 3 yrs right? If that is the case then you shouldn't have any problems adopting. Most vet clinics have found that the vaccines can last longer then just a year now some lasting 2yrs and others lasting 3 yrs.

I take my babies in every year for their annuals too both canine and feline, just feel better then just taking them in when they need vaccinations.

Yes the adoption fee sounds about right. Best wishes to you in finding your new family addition
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Senior Dog
    Sunnie is my first official rescue...no problems with the adoption.

I didn't vaccinate cats past their first year/two except for rabies....and had two at the time who weren't even getting rabies vaccines due to health problems. Vet-documented with the animal control folks. Indoor cats.

My dogs have all along gotten only rabies and lepto (bad in our area) on an ongoing basis past the first two/three years. We don't do dog parks but there's a lot of wildlife in our own backyard and the park we frequent.

They wanted to know what had happened to any animal we'd lost in the past....three?....years.

We were required to have a fenced-in yard....I can't remember what all else I was told up front but we passed the test.

I think Sunnie's fee was $200 (through a rescue that took in animals from other shelters....Sunnie was actually from Ohio, not Maryland) and that included transport.....5 1/2 years ago.

We were obligated to have her spayed (when the rescue realized that the shelter hadn't already done so) "right away"......but "right away" turned into "as soon as it's safe per our vet" since she first had to deliver/wean the five little parasites she smuggled into our house.

I think that the vaccination thing may be sticky with some rescues (I'm thinking shelters?) but as long as you have a plan that is backed by your veterinarian, it should be OK.

That fee sounds about right.

I have never adopted a dog, but I was denied a cat because my dog who was not even one was intact. I did have reasons and a plan and a veterinarian to back me up, but I was still chastised for it. I think I was also looked down on because I got my dogs from breeders. "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die" was written in my denial letter.

No advice, but good luck in your search!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

I believe the rescue I fostered/adopted Lily from only asked me what happened to my past pets and what vet I use.

[QUOTE=Labradorks;37420]I think that the vaccination thing may be sticky with some rescues (I'm thinking shelters?) but as long as you have a plan that is backed by your veterinarian, it should be OK.

That fee sounds about right.

I have never adopted a dog, but I was denied a cat because my dog who was not even one was intact. I did have reasons and a plan and a veterinarian to back me up, but I was still chastised for it. I think I was also looked down on because I got my dogs from breeders. "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die" was written in my denial letter.[/QUOTE

That's awful. That makes me so mad that they would turn away a home. I understand they have to have some restrictions but you can adopt a dog to a family who meets all your requirements and isn't a good dog owner. My brother for example adopted a shepherd that basically sits in the house all day he complains bc she has separation anxiety he's called me about her frequent utis yet won't take her to the vet he gives her cranberry juice. I can go on and on.

Senior Dog
    And....

We had a home visit and all three of my referrals were contacted, as was my vet's office (don't know if they spoke to my vet or just the front office).

I remember being asked some questions that I thought were a bit intrusive, but not so much that I'd refuse to go along....I'm thinking it was along the lines of annual income or some such.

Put in an application for a black lab many years ago. As I remember, the questions were about previous pets, if we still had them, how/why they passed, did we have a fenced yard, our experience with dogs. References were required, vet, etc. I was not allowed to meet the dog one-on-one until I filled out an application. As it turned out, he was adopted quickly, before we had a chance. Glad he got a home.

Adoption fee is also regional so hard for me to comment (they are much higher in canada as our vetting is more expensive, some states have similar fees but I have seen others that are significantly cheaper). Do some reading on what is offered in the adoption fee (some may have a higher fee but cover more things).

The vetting may cause issues with SOME rescues. Some rescues are very black and white. Others will be open. We have a discussion and see what people's reasoning is and if they put thought and research into it. For example, we had one applicant say "my neighbour had a 16 year old dog and told me dogs don't need to go tot he vet for yearly vaccines so we stopped going with our last dog" - not a good response. But we actually DID end up working with them so, you never know. But someone that has done research and goes for yearly vet visits and really put research into it, well that's probably going to be fine.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos