Trad's early hunts

In a number of threads, I have advocated for early exposure training for Labrador pups that will ultimately be trained and utilized as gun dogs. We all know how critical socialization is to the development of healthy, well rounded pups. In the same realm as early socialization, similarly important is getting prospective gun dog pups out into the hunting environment and exposing them to the many related aspects of that venue. Early exposure to decoys, calls and calling, blinds (layout, pit, above ground, and natural), dog stands, dog blinds, boats, water, birds (live and dead), ATV's and Gators, trucks and farm equipment, farm fields, livestock pens and livestock, other dogs, other hunters, etc., etc., essentially everything used for hunting that the dog will see and should be highly familiar with long before the pup steps into the hunting evironment to actually hunt. NOTE: The one aspect I did not elaborate on is conditioning to gunfire. Accordingly, a young pup should not be subjected to sudden, early gunfire that might very well lead to a gunshy and ruined pup. All conditioning to gunfire for pups should be done very gradually and incrementally over time, with increases in noise level and decreases in distance between pup and the gun being a normal and effective progression in the process.

TRAD accompanied me a just about every hunt I went on last year. In NONE of those situations was he present during actual gunfire, rather, he was safely crated in a vehicle parked far from the gunfire during the actual shooting. TRAD did join us for ALL other aspects of the hunt such as pre-hunt set up, and post-hunt break down of equipment, this giving TRAD ample opportunity for early expoaure. Additionally, this gave TRAD the opportunity to endear himself to many of my gunning partners which did not take long for the wee pup to melt his way into their hearts. TRAD is now considered a full member of our gang, "THE DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY". LOL. Enjoy the photos and get those young pups out with you and acclimated to "ALL THINGS HUNTING".

Getting pups out early takes some effort and planning, but it lays the foundation for the making of a truly great gun dog. Take the time to get your pups out early and you will never regret it.

Cheers,
    IRISHWHISTLER

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (09-21-2014)

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    It's great to have something fun to do with your dog. We used to have horses and my lab had fun exploring many miles of trails in the mountains with me. Such great times.

great pics!

Great information. Love the pictures. No wonder TRIAD is well prepared for his real hunting experience.

In so many ways, the same techniques apply to other situations and life styles. I'm taking Archie to a parade on Saturday; GS's homecoming parade in which he and GD will be marching. We have been spending a lot of time around the high school lately while the band practices, flag squad flapping their flags, teens being teens. It's a short walk, about a mile, to the parade route so if he is too uncomfortable, we can walk home.

Puppy
    I agree with getting those pups out early. I also like how you safely crated him away while the shooting was going on. I did the very same thing with My BooBoo dog. She was born in may 2012 and that fall she stayed in the truck but after the shooting was done she was allowed to come out an find the geese we stacked up among the decoys, pretty funny seeing 4.5 month old trying to drag a goose away . She even got to retrieve hand thrown teal.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by stepnout View Post
    I agree with getting those pups out early. I also like how you safely crated him away while the shooting was going on. I did the very same thing with My BooBoo dog. She was born in may 2012 and that fall she stayed in the truck but after the shooting was done she was allowed to come out an find the geese we stacked up among the decoys, pretty funny seeing 4.5 month old trying to drag a goose away . She even got to retrieve hand thrown teal.

Wayne
    Good on ya Wayne. i see ye hale from NB, Canada. I am heading to NB in two weeks to hunt grouse and woodcock.

Cheers,
    IRISHWHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

We exposed Thor to loud noises from the day we brought him home. My husband is a blacksmith so the loud sounds of the hammer from his shop were regular and 8 week old Thor would sleep right though it. We also exposed him to gunfire and fireworks early. With lots of treats. Now loud noises = treats. Firework goes off in the neighborhood? Queue the drool. I grew up with dogs terrified of loud noises (one was even scared of balloons because of the inevitable pop). Now I have one who practically begs for gunfire and fireworks!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

That is absolutely awesome! How old is your pup? He is gorgeous...

Wonderful information about how to help train a dog to hunt. What great pictures too!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos