Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your opinion please.....

Before I adopted Starla in June I rode my bike 10-15 miles a day.... I haven't really ridden since then, instead we have been walking 5 miles a day. I tried to start running with her, but I'm a funny runner and just re-twisted my ankle... But walking doesn't really get all her energy out and I'm not getting the workout I really want. So we have to walk our 5 miles and go swimming, or go to the dog park or anything else to get that last bit out of her... But I want to get back to riding my 10-15 miles and don't have the time by the time she is wore out.... So my idea is to ride (at her gallop pace) while she runs... And I found this Petego Hands-Free Bicycle Dog Leash - Dog.com

my question is, does anyone know any other contraptions that might be a better option?

we are just trying to find a daily routine that works for us both 😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Starla For This Useful Post:

Bamps (09-23-2014)

Make sure she is fully trained so that both of you will be safe while riding the bicycle.

I don't use any special leashes, I like to hold the leash in my hand.

Have fun!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Starla (09-23-2014)

We are working on the training bit and won't go until we are ready. My fiancé has done the leash in the hand thing and had the leash in the wrong hand, there for tried to stop with the wrong break and did a nice little flip over the handlebars... He had of course let go of the leash and she didn't get hurt at all, but that's my fear... And I would worry that with the hands free thing she might get hurt.... But going as slow as we will be the odds of a wreak are very slim... I'm still undecided.

Senior Dog
    how old is the pup?

ok, i saw from another post that she is about a year old, right?
    she actually shouldn't be running a pace that isn't just her normal puppy run, till she's about 18 months old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (09-23-2014)

Oh yes, I agree with Bett, I like my dog trotting beside the bicycle, not galloping.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

bett (09-23-2014)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Riding a bike and having a dog run beside you takes a lot of training. Before I would consider doing this, for the safety of the dog, I would be absolutely certain that she can heel perfectly while walking. Verbal commands are key when riding on a bike because hand commands are more difficult to use. When slowing down give a slow command, and a stop command etc. The problem with using something like what you posted on a bike is that the dog can get spooked or jumpy and pull you over. Be sure that she won't pull, she won't fall behind, that she won't get distracted etc. because she can get hurt and so can you - I don't know you or your dog but based on your other posts, I am assuming that you are still training a lot of the basics. Ideally it is best to have the dog off leash in a heel, beside you on the bike. I think it's also important to have a fluorescent vest or something bright so that the dog is easily spotted.

House Broken
    Forced exercise is not recommended in a dog who is not physically mature. Jogging, biking, etc. are considered forced exercise. This type of activity should wait until the dog is over 18/24 months.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dogmom For This Useful Post:

bett (09-23-2014)

The dog is too young right now. I guess you can work on training it on short rides now.

Also, be sure when you do start, to take is slow and check her pads frequently. This is a totally different thing for her and it probably being on a paved surface, it's going to be rough on her paws.

Let me clearify, this is not something I am planning on trying to do on a daily basis now... Or any time soon. Just something I want to work toward. I would love to be able to just have her off leash once she will heel, but that's not an option. We walk and will be riding on an busy city pathway that always has bikers, joggers, walkers and other dogs as well as leash laws. It's not even a mile from my house. We start obedience classes saturday so I want to have a finish line to work toward.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos