Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adult lab doesn't like walks?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but my wife and I need some advise.

On Saturday, we adopted a 2.5 - 3 year old yellow lab from a rescue shelter. Previously he was in a really bad condition, essentially the "kennel" he was at was a lean-to with a tarp over it. Anyway, he was at the shelter for 4 weeks before we adopted him on Saturday. Based on what people said there, he loved walking, playing with other dogs and was great.

And he really is. The only issue is that the past 2 days, its been hard to get him to go for a walk. Like we will go out to go to the bathroom and he goes fine, and we will start walking and after 5 minutes, he will just dig in and not want to move. If we start heading back towards home, he will walk just fine. Last night we took him to a dog park where there were 2 other dogs and he absolutely loved it. I've never seen him run so fast.

So our concern is what is going on when we try to walk him? Do you think the fact he was with other dogs for 4 weeks coupled with being in a new place is just a little much for him? Other than that, he eats when we feed him and urinates everytime we go out and poops at least once a day. Plus he was at the vet yesterday so I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I know we've only had him 3 days but we are just concerned and want him to be happy.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by myndflyte; 09-23-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    What kind of collar are you using? Will he walk anywhere besides your neighborhood on a leash?

We are using the collar that the shelter recommended us to use which is the prong collar. That is also the collar that was used on him when they took him for walks at the shelter. I tried to fit is appropriately where it isn't tight but isn't too loose where it hangs there. Tonight we were going to try to walk him somewhere else. He is clearly excited when we go out but after we get out there and he goes to the bathroom, its like he is ready to go back inside.

As you've only had him for 3 days, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. He may just be really happy to be in a home after spending time at the shelter. It also takes time for them to trust you, and know that if you go for a walk that you will be bringing him back home with you. I would worry less about the walks and spend the time building a bond with him.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

I agree with Sue. I think he might just be nervous that if you go for a walk you might not go back home. I would be patient and bond.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Maybe he is scared. He knows the way back home and he is more comfortable heading back. I'd give him time. Try to make the walk fun. Try playing with him for example when he won't move forward. See how he reacts.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I agree with the rest -- he may be nervous and unsure, and your home may be his security blanket. The dogs at the dog park were probably a big distraction, so that helped. If he likes a ball, can you encourage him to walk a little with that? Or his food? Also, be extra watchful and careful at the dog-park. It's awfully early, in my opinion, to be trusting him A. off-leash, and B. with other dogs that you do not know. I would start slowly with playdates at your house in a fenced in area or in a friend's secure yard with dogs that you know and trust, mostly to get to know your dog and his reactions to other dogs and situations.

Thanks for the advise. I figured he was just a little nervous. He also got a vaccine yesterday at the vet (not sure which one as my wife took him) so that may also be what's making him lethargic. As for a ball, he doesn't know how to fetch yet surprisingly. So we have to work with him on that.

We were careful at the dog park. We let him sniff the dogs with the fence between them and spent a good 20 minutes with our dog on the leash inside the dog park. And according to the shelter, he was also allowed to run free with other dogs at the shelter during their play time. And the other owners told us they were ok with us taking the leash off. It was only 2 other dogs so it wasn't too much but I agree that we should probably be more careful.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I completely read past the fact that you've only had the dog for a few days!!! Everyone else is totally correct. Give it time. He is in a new environment, he is just getting settled and adjusting to you and his new home. My first thought was he maybe had a bad experience on a leash or being tied up, so the leash spooked him. I asked what kind of collar because I thought perhaps he is fighting it...but he is more than likely unsure about where he is being taken or why you are leaving. He will adjust. He is still learning to trust you and your home.

Also, I agree with labradorks. It is really early to be trusting him with other dogs and being off leash. I would do my own evaluation on the dog regardless of what the shelter told me. I know when someone has a new rescue, we evaluate them by putting them into a class with other dogs and watch how the rescue acts around the other people and dogs. You may have already done this before deciding on going to the dog park. It really just depends on the dog and the circumstances that they came from. A lot of dogs that are left outside and neglected and separated, in my experience, are very nervous and "broken" for lack of a better word. Low confidence etc.

Thank you for adopting! Do you know any more about the dogs past circumstances?

I would take treats with you too. I never go for walks without some tiny treats as well. Zukes small training treats are what we take. It might help taking his mind off stopping and think, wow, I get to walk and get treats. Just a thought. I use treats for rewarding walking beside me and leaving other dogs alone. Things like that. Food is a powerful motivator for any lab.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (09-23-2014), MontananDakota (09-23-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos