Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My bratty teenager

Wasn't sure if this should go in regular training or puppy training. But....we have reached the bratty teenager phase. Let me tell you how I know.

Yesterday we had to stop by the vet to drop off a stool sample. Thor's had some on and off runny poops so the vet wanted us to drop off a sample. I needed to bring Thor with me for a new weigh in since his last visit to the vet was when he was about 60 lbs, and now he's closer to 80. The vet wanted an accurate weight in case she needed to prescribe any medications. Fine, no problem.

Thor has been very easy to train with about 90% of commands, but he loves people and other dogs SO MUCH that the hardest thing that we've worked on is behaving when approaching strangers or other dogs. He wants to pull and jump SO BAD. When I do get him to ignore the other person/dog and sit and look at me instead, his body is positively vibrating with excitement. We've been working on it with trainer regularly and the behavior was improving. But that went OUT THE DOOR yesterday when we went to the vet.

I did my normal 'wait' command at the door - he can't go through it until I say he can. That is so hard since he sees all those exciting people and dogs inside! But he waited. And then instead of staying by my side in a heel when I release him from the wait like he's been doing solidly for months, he rocketed forward and leapt on top of the vet countertop. All four paws. I've never seen him jump that high. Knocked the cookie jar to the floor, spilling treats everywhere (much to the delight of the other patients). Then just as quickly he jumped off.

I was as surprised as the people in the office. I had never seen him do something like that. To their credit, the first reaction of the office employees was "is he okay?" and we took him outside to walk around and check for any limps or pain. Nothing - he was fine. By the time we got back inside the cookies were cleaned up (good, he I'm glad he didn't get that reward for his antics) and everyone was laughing about it. I was mortified and thoroughly embarrassed, I swear my dog is trained!

Or is he? He's 8.5 months old, and I think I'm in the boundary pushing teenager stage. I think I'll go back to square one with a few of his public behavior training and see how he does. Also - my mistake for not having him on his shorter leash. He'd been doing so well on his 6 ft leash I didn't even think of using the shorter one. I don't think it was from lack of exercise - we had a longer walk than usual and he played fetch in the rain and mud much longer than normal (he loved the rain!) Any other tips about getting past this phase?

Here's the little brat outside the office yesterday after his little round of acrobatics. He seems quite pleased with himself.

Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (09-27-2014)

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Are you obedience training? This is the perfect age to start obedience training. It really builds a bond with your pup and reinforces your authority.

You are doing the right thing by telling the dog to wait before entering a door for many reasons. If a dog tries to race me through a door way I'll give an AH-AH and drag him back behind me and reinforce my "wait" command. It just takes time and consistency. Dogs will act up, and they will get into moods. This is normal, and something to expect. They will test you and push the boundaries to see what is acceptable and what is not. It's all apart of learning. All you can do is reinforce your training.

About the leash - I only use a 6ft leash for certain obedience training and when the dog goes to the bathroom or other circumstances. If we are walking or working (he is a working dog) I always have a short traffic lead on him. No more than 1ft and a half long. If we are out and about, he doesn't need a long leash to roam around, I want him glued to my side. That's just what I do...I'm sure people will disagree. If I want him to roam or go to the bathroom, I'll just take the leash off.

I feel your embarrassment! All bets are off when we enter the vet's office. I take Gabby there just for a random weigh-in to try to get her under control. I swear that it's because they always insisted on giving her treats over the counter as soon as we would walk in, no matter how much I explained the whole 'she's in training' thing to them. Now the vet's in a new office, with a very high counter - we'll see how that plays out!

Real Retriever
    It is a horrible stage. I just leash up so any command is not an option. The only time they are off leash is for free play time and I do not yell commands because I know they will not be obeyed. We just have fun and work off energy. Then, leash up to walk back to wherever.

Hang in there, it does pass and you will have your well behaved dog back soon!!!

It's a terrible time, but it will pass.

Just keep reinforcing everything.

Every day when Luna was going through that stage I swore I'd never get another puppy.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm sorry, but had to laugh visualizing him leaping up on the counter.

Go to NILF (nothing in life is free) and stick with it during this time.

Not sure where she got it but DD has a leash with a double loop to hold on to, one at 6 feet and another at about 2-3 feet.

I should replace the name "Thor" in your story with "Chester". Chester is now 9 1/2 months old. I feel your pain. Some days I swear he is deaf!
    Hidden Content
    Chester : Born December 11, 2013

so, we all have bad days. dogs too. so a big visit to the vet isn't a sign of everything being lost Rocky is actually at his WORSE at the vets. the bugger just loves it there LOL.

Keep the faith, keep practicing and remember there will always be bad days even years from now they are living creatures so won't ALWAYS comply as expected

I am so glad I am reading this. Murphy is 7 1/2 months old. He has been through puppy kindergarten and the first obedience class and was a star pupil. He does so well and is so focused, every day we practice commands, sit, down, stay, come, doggie push ups, heel etc. Today about 5 minutes into our practice around the yard he decided to completely ignore me. Wouldn't even sit, then he just walked past me and toward the house. I went and opened the door and he kept walking into the front and I had to go after him. I was shocked. He always listens so well and today he wouldn't do anything I asked. Is this the rebellious time I hear about? Is this expected? We start the next obedience class this week and now i wonder if I need to go back to square one. I am so frustrated.
    Hidden Content
    Murphy born Valentines Day 2014

Ah, I'm reading the responses and laughing. I'm sorry for everyone else's troubles, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! Today's new antic was to chew apart the handle of an old cooler that we store his toys in (the ones we don't have out in rotation). That cooler has been on our back porch since the day we brought him home and he has never so much as given it a second glance. This morning I saw him laying at his favorite spot on the back porch and let him be for 5 minutes while I made a cup of coffee, and when I came back the cooler was half way across the yard and the handle was chewed apart.

I guess I'm just catching up with everyone else. He was such a well behaved puppy, I kept wondering where all these horror stories were coming from. Now that he's 80 lbs he's finally decided to unleash his mischievous side!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (09-27-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos