newest AKC Obedience Advisory Committee (OAC) recommendations

https://images.akc.org/pdf/events/obedience/2014_Post_2nd_OAC.pdf

If you cannot open a pdf, here is a combination of text copied and a screen shot of the Preferred Obedience Champion requirements below. It is said that the form for comments will be open soon. I think the OAC came up with some good innovations. The changes in stays are similar to one Rally Excellent stay, and it is real world useful. It is also safer to eliminate one group stay.

Charlotte

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Post 2nd OAC Meeting – NEW ITEMS

1. CLUBS: a. No judge will be assigned to judge for more than eight hours in one day b. Number of dogs per hour to stay at 9, 8, 7 dogs per hour. c. EVENT SCEDULING: When a judge will be judging 6 or more classes a day, like classes MUST be
    grouped together. d. The Utility ring must never be less than 35 by 50 feet, and the Novice or Open ring must never
    be less than 30 by 40 feet.
    2. EXHIBITING: a. Remove “The judge must report to the AKC any dog that is not brought back for the group
    exercises.” 3. Novice:
    a. Replace one (removed) group exercise with “Stay – Handler gets Leash” as the last individual exercise. Approximately 20’ from the gate area the Judge will order the handler to place the dog in the sit or down position and to gets the leash. Handler will return to dog and judge will order Exercise Finished. Same position will be used for all dogs in the class.
    b. Prior to the start of the class the judge will determine and post the position for the “Stay – Handler gets Leash” and the Group Exercise. Whichever position is not being used in the individual stay will be used in the Group Stay Exercise.
    c. REVISED Novice Class Exercises:i. Figure Eight on Leash – 20 points
    ii. Stand for Exam – 30 points iii. Heel Free – 40 points – Regular heeling pattern iv. Heel, Drop & Recall – Heel forward, down dog, leave dog, call dog -*‐ 30 points.
    (Judge will order team to heel, down dog, leave dog, handler goes to other end of the ring,
    Judge will order call dog as in the Novice Recall) v. Recall – 30 points
    vi. Stay – Handler gets Leash – 20 points vii. Group Stay 1 minute (on leash) – 30 points

4. Open: a. Broad Jump – Allow handler the choice of where to stand, either alongside the jump or about
    10 feet beyond the jump. Either position will require the handler to pivot in place while the dog
    is in midair.b. Replace one (removed) group exercise with a “Stand Stay – Handler gets Leash” exercise as the
    last individual exercise.c. Group Exercise – Sit or Down, Judge’s option, posted before starting the class, 3 minutes, no
    leashes.
    5. Utility: a. Scent Discrimination: Scoring of the exercise will begin when the judge orders “You may take an

article.” b. Post the Glove # 30-*‐45 minutes prior to the start of the class.
    Page 1 of 3

6. Beginner Novice
    a. A dog without any AKC obedience title which was mistakenly entered in a Novice obedience class may have the entry transferred to the Beginner Novice class provided the host club allows transfers.
    7. Grad Novice a. Change the heeling exercise to Heel Free & Figure 8 (off leash) b. Remove Dumbbell Recall and replace with Object Retrieve -*‐ handler to provide an object of their
    choice, (no food, no noise and must not easily roll out of the ring) for the retrieve. Object must
    be thrown at least 10 feet. c. Removed recommendation to have a dumbbell in Recall over High Jump. d. Group Stay – Sit or Down, Judge’s option, posted before starting the class, 3 minutes, no leashes.

8. Preferred classes: Pre-*‐classes will be renamed as Preferred classes.
    a. Clubs must offer all of the Preferred class levels (Preferred Novice, Preferred Open and Preferred Utility) equivalent to the Regular class levels offered at events.
    b. Scores and points for the PUDX and POC titles will be grandfathered. c. A dog must have a PCD, CD title or higher title from the Regular classes to enter P-*‐Open and
    P-*‐Utility. d. Add a HIT and HC award for the Preferred Title Track. e. P-*‐Novice – Exercises are the same as the remodeled Novice class without a group exercise. f. P-*‐Open – Use the same 6 orders of exercises that are used in the Regular Class without a group
    exercise. g. P-*‐Utility – Use the same six orders of exercises that are used in the Regular Class. h. Utility Signal Exercise – REMOVE exception that allows the handler to use a verbal command
    during the signal portion. i. Post the Glove # 30-*‐45 minutes prior to the start of the class.

9. POC – Preferred Obedience Champion

[The short version: you get 6 POC points for a score of 190 up to 15 for a score of 200, a perfect score. I cannot get a screenshot or photo of the table to show up here. Sorry.]

Page 2 of 3

POC Title Requirements: ␣ Dog must earn 20 UDX scores, and must accumulate 750 Total Points
    o 30% of the points (225 points) must come from the Preferred Open Class; o 30% of the points (225 points) must come from the Preferred Utility Class. o The remaining 40% of points (300 points) may come from either the Preferred Open
    or Preferred Utility Class. ␣ Recognize POC multiples (POC1, POC2, etc.)
    10. OPTIONAL TITLING CLASSES Clubs may offer in addition to the Regular & Preferred classes:
    a. Beginner Novice, Graduate Novice, Graduate Open and Versatility

11. NON REGULAR CLASSES a. ALLOW Rally Judges to judge Non-*‐Regular Classes – Wild Card Classes, Brace, Team, Veterans. b. Wild Card Classes -*‐ The team will not perform the selected wild card exercise. Team will receive the

full point value for WC exercise.

Page 3 of 3

Last edited by Charlotte K.; 09-26-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Give synopsis of POC poinst table.

Senior Dog
    Interesting - that's not the version that was being talked about a few weeks ago (that one had them completely getting rid of group stays, which had all of us feeling it was too much "dumbing down").

I have no problems with any of it, except that I don't quite get the Preferred class stuff. Does that mean you can get a Pre-Otch by qualifying in Pre-Open and Pre-Utiiilty? And what exercises are in those classes? I don't get it. I wouldn't mind if they had a preferred Obedience class similar to Agiility where the dogs could have lower jump heights (easier on older dogs), but otherwise I don't see the point other than as a money-maker for the AKC.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

I'm not sure if the Broad Jump change is helpful or not! Mine may be more likely to come directly to me if I were 10' beyond. LOL.
    Oye, change change change.... Will try to ask a couple of the judges we have this weekend their opinions. I think the one was there at the meeting recently.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I'm not sure if the Broad Jump change is helpful or not! Mine may be more likely to come directly to me if I were 10' beyond. LOL.
    Oye, change change change.... Will try to ask a couple of the judges we have this weekend their opinions. I think the one was there at the meeting recently.
    The theory with the Broad Jump change is that some dogs have been injured (shoulder and/or elbow) from landing and immediately pivoting. My instructor (who is also a judge) says she thinks that really is much less frequent than people think.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos