Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A year ago today...

Sully let me know it was time and with a heavy heart I helped him begin a new adventure; free from pain. I always said my memories would far outweigh the pain and I'm grateful for the seven months he graced our family. I miss his bouncy greetings; his smile; his cuddles; his houndish barooo bark; the excitement in his eyes when he saw a tennis ball; his sneaky ways of stealing food from his brother; heck I even miss him being underfoot; most of all...I just plain miss him!

I wasn't very active on the forum when Sully came into my life, so for those unfamiliar... Sully was 15 years old when he was abandoned by his owner and eventually found himself on the cold, concrete floor of Fulton Co AC in Georgia where he was next in line for euthanasia. He had multiple medical issues, and a poor long-term prognosis, but thankfully, he was one of the lucky ones. A friend who runs a rescue pulled him just in time and the first time I laid eyes on him, I knew he was meant to be a part of our family and so our journey began. I wrote this tribute last year after I cradled him in my arms for the last time:

"It was a cold and foggy, February morning when I arrived at Life is Labs Rescue to officially welcome a senior boy into our lives. I had so many mixed emotions; I could barely rest my eyes. As I entered the house, I was swarmed by a welcoming committee of dogs, mostly seniors, who slowly, but surely made their way toward me. A grey muzzled, chocolate boy bumped into my knee and licked my hand as I bent down. I didn't even have to ask...I knew he was the one I couldn't keep off my mind. He was thin and moved tenderly, yet had this presence about him. I smiled, but held my breath as thoughts raced through my head. Would he bond with me? Would he love his new life? Would he like his siblings, who anxiously waited outside? I helped him to a dog bed nearby, sat next to him on the floor and rubbed his ears. I chatted with Kristie and Drew brought out a tennis ball for him. I saw a subtle change in his demeanor and his eyes got as big as saucers. Later, I would learn the tennis ball is his absolute favorite toy and he loved to retrieve! He slept the whole way home with my crew sleeping in their kennels behind him. It was a new beginning.

"He" would become Sully. His first night home we had a sleepover in the living room so he would feel safe and my other dogs joined us as if it were a usual occurrence. His care consumed my days and eventually we settled into a routine. A few sleepless nights and restless days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. As Sully's health steadily improved, so did his personality. He began to show an interest in playing fetch and a tennis ball was his favorite. Sully had a new zest for life and love of water. He and Ryder created an unspeakable bond, and they would often be found napping together. He traveled with us to events and became the un-official announcer reporting live from the x-pen booth. I remember telling everyone "It's like he has been with us for years".

Sully encouraged me to sit back and enjoy life. He made me laugh...a lot. He always greeted me with his customary, head bang into my shin...sometimes the knucklehead even left a bruise. He would hop up like a puppy when he was really excited, usually during a greeting or before a meal. He was a great friend and cuddler. Sully was one of those dogs you meet and instantly adore. We called him "Pops" or “Superman” (because let’s be honest, he had more medical issues than Coach has handbags) and soon family members were asking more about him than me. I'll never forget the words muttered by vet during Sully's first and last visits. He patted my shoulder and said "Chelsey, I don't know how you do it." Honestly, the heartache is almost too much to bear, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I knew the day would come when I would have to let him go, though I secretly, and perhaps selfishly, envisioned spending the holidays together and celebrating his first year home. Today, Sully let me know it was time, and with a heavy heart I helped him begin a new adventure where he can run and swim, free from pain and where tennis balls are plentiful. I could talk for hours about Sully and his effect on our family, but the truth is, I can no longer see through the tears. Time to rest sweet boy, momma loves you!"

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Aerodogs For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (09-29-2014), ARTC (09-29-2014), barry581 (09-28-2014), Blackboy98 (09-29-2014), Brutus (10-01-2014), Dallas dawg (09-28-2014), kimbersmom (09-29-2014), krysten (10-01-2014), lovemylabby (09-28-2014), LucyTudeOn4Feet (09-29-2014), Maxx&Emma (09-28-2014), MikeLynn (09-28-2014), MontananDakota (09-29-2014), Ruger's Mom (09-29-2014), Scoutpout (09-28-2014), sheltieluver (09-28-2014), Sue-Ram (09-29-2014), ZoeysMommy (09-28-2014)

I'm sorry, A beautiful tribute for a grand old man. You gave him the best months of his life.
    Run free Sully
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Heartfelt, touching, and very beautiful tribute to a very special and very handsome four-legged gentleman RIP, Sully
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Tears are flowing down my face for Sully a very, very special boy. His stunningly handsome face melts the heart. I am so sorry for his passing and your loss. At the same time, there is joy in knowing he had the most fabulous home and loving family, receiving what he should have had all his years.

Your statement "the first time I laid eyes on him I knew he was meant to be a part of our family" slammed into my heart. Those with open hearts and eyes that see past the age and ailments know what I mean. God blessed you. Thank you for being who you are. Sully will always be a part of you, a part of your heart, softly padding beside you forever.

My deepest condolences.

Rest In Peace Sweet Sully

I remember dear old Sully's story very well. So sorry for your loss. Thank you for caring for him in his last years.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

That was beautiful. What a special bond you had.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

So beautiful, sorry for your loss

Senior Dog
    Awwwwww I remember when u brought him home. Always loved the third picture.

I'm sorry for your loss. RIP Sully. Run free at the Rainbow Bridge.

Beautiful tribute. Thank-you for rescuing and giving him the best life he could ever have. My favourite is the last photo.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

Chelsey, I too remember Sully's story when you brought him HOME and he quickly became a member of your family. What an exceptional person you are to give this most human of a dog blessed love and care for his short life with you. Your vet was right.

God has a special place in Heaven for souls like you to care for the dogs who need that special care and love. How lucky you are!!

Rest gently Sully. Love that 3rd picture of your boy, so dignified, graceful, wise and no knows he is in good hands with a big heart.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos