Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rant about friend...

One of my friends just decided on a whim to get a 9.5 week old chocolate lab puppy off of Craigslist. Immediately my mind went "bad!" But of course she did it anyway. So today she picks up the little guy and brings him over and immediately I tell her he has fleas, a tick on his neck, and worms. This babies tummy is huge but you can see his ribs and hip bones...I think she's too gaga over him to even notice. So that's the first strike. Next, we go to petsmart and I advise her on everything to get for him. Food, dewormer, name tag, etc. The grooming salon also got the tick off for us....So then we go back to my apartment so I could "help" show her how to do things, next thing I know she leaves to "go get more stuff" and leaves him here with me. At this point it is 9 at night and she still hasn't fed him, given him water, bathed him with dawn to get the fleas off, or used the dewormer on him. So I give him some water and a little food and then take him out to potty, then he passes out on my lap. When she finally got back she STILL doesn't feed him but does give him more water. He then potties twice...once in my room, and once in the main room. And she gets mad and puts him out on the patio...while she is busy cleaning up the mess I went and got him and brought him back inside. Then after bugging her about 3 times she finally goes to bath him...at this point I am just beyond pissed off. This is a baby we're talking about and she is being completely irresponsible. If she doesn't step it up with in the next couple days my roommate and I are going to intervene. I just started fostering a yellow lab named Remi so I really can't take on the responsibility of a puppy. But something will be done...right now I'm just tired and pissed off and preparing myself for a long night because I KNOW she isn't gonna take him out like he needs to tonight....ugh

I'm sorry. And I'm sorry that this happens all of the time as you well know. You are looking out for him so that's amazing for the pup. You can get him into a rescue when she gets frustrated in a few days. God knows that the original owners won't take him back.

Poor pup. Nine weeks old and already on his soon to be third home. I hope your friend settles down and gets serious about owning a puppy.

Sad. Thanks for helping her!!
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Puppy
    Awe poor puppy. I hope she realizes how much he needs her (care) or ensures he gets the care he needs from someone else before she becomes emotionally attached to him-even though she isn't fulfilling the most basic obligations. Let us know how it goes.

This is so sad for that poor puppy! I hope in the light of day she realizes what she needs to do. People who buy dogs on a whim annoy me so much - it is a life decision and needs to be treated that way. A puppy is a lot of work. Im glad you are around to care for it - and fingers crossed your friend steps up and treats it the way it deserves

Senior Dog
    So good that you are around for that pup. Hoping your friend understands that she made a commitment and actually listens and takes action as you are giving her all the advise needed for this sweet pup. If not, being a safety net for this pup, as he has had no one since birth really worried about him, and hopefully find someone who will make that commitment.

Bad situation all around. So sorry for this pup, but so glad you are there.

KAZ

Encourage her to register with the board. We'll straighten her out! Seriously!

(Wish we had the old smilies- I could use several of them, now)
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Puppy
    Good for you for stepping up! To be honest, sometimes I see people with babies in the store and think the same thing Middle of the winter with no coat? Really??? Anyway, just keep doing what your doing and hopefully she will come around. Even if you have to be the one to take pup to the vet, and remind her to feed him, etc., hopefully she can use you as a crutch until she is ready to take on the full responsibility. It's not always easy being the good guy, but stay strong my friend and keep up the good work.

Poor puppy is darn lucky you are his owner's friend.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos