Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boarding school

boarding school

OK, I did it...sending Chili to boarding school for 10 days. It will be good break for me/wife and hopefully Chili will get some good training in along with a vacation(this place has pools). The timing of this 10 day separation will allow me to go on a vacation myself and attend the balloon fiesta in ABQ. The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta Hopefully I get some decent pics and eat some great food. I think Im sold on the idea of Chili learning some manners from some professionals(even tho he has been pretty good). I want him to be better here is the link to the place: Dog Boarding Manners Institute | Albuquerque | Enchantment Pet Resort would love to hear from others if they ever boarded their dogs
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I have some experience with boarding. I don't board my dog as he is allowed to come with me, but my trainer boards a lot of dogs. Most of the people come and take their dogs away and don't notice a difference because they didn't do the training. The dog also doesn't always understand that what they were "taught" applies to YOU as well. To them - you are back and they are happy to go back to their old ways.

A lot of people that send their dogs away for "professional" training usually don't have any idea how to handle their dogs when they return. It depends a lot on the duration your dog is away, what they are being taught, and how they are being taught. It's something that you will need to continue at home if it is going to stick.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (09-30-2014), Meeps83 (10-01-2014), voodoo (09-30-2014), windycanyon (09-30-2014)

^^makes alot of sense. When I spoke with the trainer, she said part of the process involves me/wife demonstrating what was taught infront of the staff after the boarding is over and also a followup 7-10 days later. Im just excited for what hopefully will be a win/win. time for me to go take some pictures and chili getting a chance to learn from someone besides me(variety). Also getting to hear others opinion on my chili and what I should focus on. Since I am a stay at home husband, Chili and I have been together 24/7. hope he doesnt get separation anxiety.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Sounds fancy, does he need a tie and blazer? Hope you both have a great vacation.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

voodoo (09-30-2014)

30 years ago I now remember one of my friends got a puppy and his parents sent it to a 3 week training course out of state. I vaguely remember the pup coming back just as energetic and troublesome, but also knowing alot more commands. Not the best example as that family was never home and pup just stayed in a kennel all day. Im optimistic nonetheless...win/tie wont piss me off
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

I have a family friend that hunts. He went to a pretty well known sporting breeder. Raised the pup. Sent it back for a month or two (I don' remember how long actually) for retriever training. He said when the dog came home - he was completely different. He said, before he was a pet, now he is a working dog. He purchased the dog FOR HUNTING. The dog lives outside mostly. When the dog sees the guns come out - he just flips out with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    I have a family friend that hunts. He went to a pretty well known sporting breeder. Raised the pup. Sent it back for a month or two (I don' remember how long actually) for retriever training. He said when the dog came home - he was completely different. He said, before he was a pet, now he is a working dog. He purchased the dog FOR HUNTING. The dog lives outside mostly. When the dog sees the guns come out - he just flips out with excitement.
    When you turn that "on" it's "on"! Just a couple of months ago when my pup didn't know any better, birds didn't do much for him. Now, he sees dead birds and he's a maniac!

It won't hurt, but I would not have high expectations. If you learn which buttons to push and be consistent, then you might see some improvement, however.

Hope both you and Chili have a great time! Enjoy the festival. High over Head and Wild Tangerine are friends of ours.

I don't know what kind of training the dog went through - but to get those kind of results in a relatively sort amount of time - you know a lot of it was forced...

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos