Black Cherry Tree Toxicity???

A co-worker's nearly 11-week-old Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy was just euthanized for potentially consuming something toxic. My co-worker is very distressed as she and her family had really bonded with this little girl in the two weeks that they had her. She said that all of her medicines are locked away, the garage is secure -- no antifreeze or fertilizers..., the yard was completely cleared of all shrubs, perennials and annuals that were potentially toxic (she did her homework!). The only thing that she missed was the big Black Cherry Tree in the back yard.

She said that the puppy loved to chase the falling leaves and would grab them and chew on them but not actually eat them. In addition, it seems that the fetch stick was from this tree -- again the stick was old, not a chew toy and not consumed except when being carried in her mouth. My co-worker looked on-line and cherry is on the ASPCA toxic plant list (cyanide). Where I grew up, Black Cherries are everywhere, the deer eat them, I've used the sticks as fetch toys, etc. and am shocked that this could be the potential source that caused this puppy to get so horrible sick and have her poor body start shutting down.

I am also concerned that the puppy's breeder has offered her a new one (not a quality) dog as a free replacement or 1/2 her money back. My co-worker mentioned that she selected the puppy b/c it looked "peaked" as well as being the preferred female -- sounds like her heart got in the way. It makes me wonder if the dog was ill prior and if there was an issue with the cherry tree if it was the "straw the broke the camel's back".

So, is anyone aware of cherry trees causing death? how much would have to have been absorbed/eaten (ie. some say tons of grapes would have to be eaten to cause damage)? etc.

My co-worker is contemplating cutting down the tree, replacement puppy from same breeder (who from past conversations seems a bit off to me), wait a few years, etc.

Senior Dog
    maybe the breeder has a heart and a puppy left, rather than the puppy was ill.

wouldn't they have noted, in the two weeks that had her, if the dog was sick?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-01-2014), swanska (10-01-2014)

A problem with Black Cherry is there are two kinds. One is a fruit tree and one is a hardwood. I believe the leaf problem is with the hardwood, as it is with some other hardwoods, notably Sugar Maple. Other tree leaves are culprits too and other species, particularly horses, are at risk from eating too many of the leaves. I tried to google up a link for you but my internet is going wonky and I can't get it.

I have had a black cherry fruit tree and a black cherry hardwood and dogs and never had a problem but then I would monitor my dog/puppy and not allow it to eat a lot of leaves. I wonder too if the puppy was already ill. But I would not cut down a beautiful hardwood tree, I hope. I might I guess, out of grief. But really, better to get a healthy puppy from a reputable breeder and watch the little thing very closely when it's at that eat everything in sight stage.

So sorry for your co-worker, my condolences to her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

swanska (10-01-2014)

She mentioned that the puppy had diarrhea when they picked her up and the vet gave her some medicine. So, there was a vet visit but not sure if there was a follow-up in the 2 weeks that they had her. I don't know how attune they are to puppies/dogs. I believe it has been many years since they've had one. Since the puppy was described as mellow, could that personality trait actually been a symptom?

And yes, it is the hardwood black cherry (Prunus serotina). It sounds as if she and the rest of the family were pretty attentive at removing things from her mouth but you all know how fast those little rascals can be.

The new puppy that has been offered is a male and has buck teeth. I am very curious as to what a toothy Rhodie would look like! However, I hope she chooses a healthy fit puppy from a reputable breeder as Snowshoe suggested.

My own pup came from an Animal Welfare League so I don't know much about breeders except what I've read on this forum (about both the wonderful and scary versions) but there were several red flags going up while she was waiting for this pup.

Senior Dog
    I know there's cyanide in the seeds....lots of cherry trees in our park and I have to be really careful with Sunnie because she'll pick up anything that's food (or that she can convince herself is food).

I know two people whose Rhodies I knew as puppies and both of those (a male and a female) were mellow...and stayed that way into adulthood. (The female's about 3 now and the male is somewhere near 10.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

swanska (10-02-2014)

coppercleaner
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the pits from all stone fruit were harmful. Could birds have eaten cherries, dropped pits, and the dog ingested them causing harm?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to coppercleaner For This Useful Post:

swanska (10-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercleaner View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the pits from all stone fruit were harmful. Could birds have eaten cherries, dropped pits, and the dog ingested them causing harm?
    Little cherries drop on their own....and they're yummy. I eat those tiny black cherries in the park (directly from the trees, not off the ground) and have to remind myself at the beginning of the season to be sure to spit (lovely visual, huh?).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

swanska (10-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by coppercleaner View Post
    You are correct, I can not say ALL but most pits contain cyanide. Same for apple seeds. A lot of the seeds in pitted fruit contain that. It's part of evolution, the fruit is good and tummy so animals will carry it away from the tree hopefully. They eat the fruit but not the seed. leaving the seed behind on the ground to grow a new tree. Pits are usually extremely bitter, the poison, so animals typically dont eat them. But Cherry, Apricot, Peaches, plumbs, etc all do contain cyanide.

Rhubarb, stalks are edible the leaves are highly toxic, leaves are like eating bleach.

So rough with a puppy this time of year. I was constantly pulling things out of Hemi's mouth.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

swanska (10-02-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos