advice for quicker response with commands

Murphy (7 1/2 months) is doing very well with his training and obedience. He has gone to puppy kindergarten, basic obedience and now beyond the basic obedience classes. He follows his commands, has a great stay, good manners and loves to please. He amazes me every day. His personality is very laid back and more a couch potato but he enjoys his training sessions and is very motivated with treats. I am new to this and need some help. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can make him obey his commands quicker? For example, I tell him "down" and he looks at me, thinks about it, starts to go down, then scoots a little more forward on the floor, then waits a second, then lays down. Same with sitting, I tell him to sit, he has to look at me for a few seconds, think about it, looks at me again then sits. He doesn't do that all the time but enough where I would like him to react a little quicker. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with all he has accomplished and so proud of him but.....How can I get him to follow commands without hesitation? He does what I say, just in his own time. Is it just patience on my part or are there any tips anyone can share? Thanks.
    Hidden Content
    Murphy born Valentines Day 2014

He may be unsure of what you really want or insecure, possibly a worrier.

How do you ask him to sit or down? Do you say it in a scolding way? Some people are all, "DOWN!" or "SIT!" and it makes their dogs think that maybe they are in trouble so they second-guess themselves and what they are supposed to do. If that is the case, you need to readjust your training. Linus is a worrier and I am taking private lessons to learn how to work with him better and increase his confidence. Most of this is with games and seriously positive reinforcement. I'm not even allowed to say "eh-eh!" anymore!

How do you let your dog know that he's not doing what you want?

Do you play a lot of obedience games?

And, finally, if you are in a class that is above basic obedience, have you asked your instructor about this?

Perhaps you are moving too fast for him?

Do you play fun games with him that motivate him to move quicker?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (10-03-2014)

Have you got to the point yet where you ask for a series of commands? I found that tended to make everything happen quicker. I want a SIT, DOWN, STAND, DOWN, STAND, SIT, etc. I started with two commands and found once he understood he had to do two things the first one came really quickly.

Another thing to try, if you are sure he understands, no treat at all for slow response. Most will speed up.

And my favourite, treat the cat instead. Courtesy of a trainer who said to treat the other dog and I only have a cat. Too slow, no treat for you dog, cat gets a freebie. I tell you, next time that bum hit the floor so fast I could hear it. Cats love this kind of dog training.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-04-2014), doubledip1 (10-04-2014), kimbersmom (10-03-2014), KLR625 (10-03-2014), Scoutpout (10-05-2014)

Thank you so much for your responses. It really made me think! I thought he was just slow but you have me wondering if its more me. (I take part blame, maybe most blame :-)) This was our first class at this level and very different from our sessions before. We did play obedience games and I use my normal voice when giving commands and then lots of happy praising and treats when he does what I say. Maybe I am moving too fast or expected more from him when I need to be more patient. We have done series of commands and you're right, he did do them a little quicker. I correct him with the leash, pulling up and back if he doesn't sit or I have said eh eh if he breaks his stay before I release him. The trainer hasn't said anything to me but I think she may have been seeing how I handle him before she starts show me how to correct. Todays practice session went a little better and I will take into consideration what you have mentioned above and really appreciate the input you both gave me. This message board is so supportive, I love it! Thanks again.
    Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    First of all - what kind of collar are you using. Second - are you using food rewards for each correct command?

I don't train obedience with food. For a couple of reasons. My methodology to obedience training is that I'm not going to reward the dog with food for something I expect. If I say down, I want the dog to lay down without looking for food, without looking at me and wondering if he is going to get food, thinking about it etc. When I say down, the dog should lay down after a second of me saying down. If he does not - I don't repeat the command (unless he genuinely didn't hear me). I'll say AH-AH which is my growl to the dog (a warning) if still nothing I will issue a correction. Whenever the dog performs the commands I will praise the dog with excitement and pets - but I don't use food. I want the dog to WORK for that food.

Now, if I say SIT, DOWN, ON YOUR FEET, DOWN, SIT and he does them all perfectly and immediately I will praise him and reward with food for that group of commands. I think that your dog is just unsure. It takes a while to proof your training. Make sure you are using a lot of distractions as this will help reinforce the dogs knowledge of the commands. A great thing to do is to go outside the fences of dog parks and train obedience. With dogs running and making noise, it is a great way to proof your training while the dog can see other dogs playing. Stringing groups of commands together and then rewarding them all with one piece of food ensures the dogs focus is on you and turns the training into a game. You should see excitement and focus.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xracer4844 For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (10-06-2014), LoveLab (10-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KLR625 View Post
    Thank you so much for your responses. It really made me think! I thought he was just slow but you have me wondering if its more me. (I take part blame, maybe most blame :-)) This was our first class at this level and very different from our sessions before. We did play obedience games and I use my normal voice when giving commands and then lots of happy praising and treats when he does what I say. Maybe I am moving too fast or expected more from him when I need to be more patient. We have done series of commands and you're right, he did do them a little quicker. I correct him with the leash, pulling up and back if he doesn't sit or I have said eh eh if he breaks his stay before I release him. The trainer hasn't said anything to me but I think she may have been seeing how I handle him before she starts show me how to correct. Todays practice session went a little better and I will take into consideration what you have mentioned above and really appreciate the input you both gave me. This message board is so supportive, I love it! Thanks again.
    It's always the trainer, not the dog. :-) If the dog isn't doing what you want the only thing you can do is try another way.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (10-06-2014), mhb (10-08-2014)

House Broken
    Whenever I have a laid back dog doing obedience I bring the energy level up a few notches. So, VERY happy and enthused voice - Sit and I will lure with a treat if I need to. I want a very motivated dog that is quick. I will run around playing with them for a minute and then stop, get their attention and give a command. If I think a dog is unsure of the command then we will repeat it multiple times, trying to get the timing down for a quicker response. Lots of praise for a laid back dog.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (10-06-2014)

its crucial to try and train them ''in drive'' in other words when they are motivated for something , they must develop muscle memory on order to have quick responses you must augment commands with body English, you should have someone video the training then you can review

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kellymccoy For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (10-06-2014)

Wow, thanks so much for the ideas and input I really appreciate it.
    Hidden Content

make a video of yourself training the dog, the devils in the details, more often than not people do not use the correct ''body english'' that can make all the difference

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kellymccoy For This Useful Post:

KLR625 (10-06-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos