Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Should I take this puppy?

Hello lab friends, I have been lurking this board and have learned a great deal from all of you, thanks. I am getting ready for our first lab. I have been researching for a while and know of the great English type breeders who provide all paperwork on clearances, etc. which I know is the right way to go. But sure enough, through a breeder website I found a little girl that I love. Although her grandparents have all clearances, the parents just turned two and do not have theirs yet. Red flag? I have asked for more details from breeder and will share once I receive. We are not in a hurry and could wait for a different breeder who has all the paperwork in order, but this little girl just stole me heart. Thoughts? Pictures are attached and I would be picking her up in person.
    Last edited by LoveLab; 10-04-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Picture removal.

Senior Dog
    red flag.
    parents need clearances.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (10-04-2014), LoveLab (10-04-2014), Snowshoe (10-04-2014)

Puppy
    I know. I have always told myself to search for a breeder, not a dog. Sure enough...

Just writing it makes me realize how wrong this is and the so many health issues we could be dealing with.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The puppy is adorable! But I would pass. There are some good threads on how to find a good breeder. I would start a check list. If you get your post count up you can use the private message feature to get some help finding a breeder.

Also, if those pictures are the breeder's and you did not take them yourself, I would delete them. I would personally take them down anyway, since the puppy does not belong to you and this site gets a lot of traffic. But the choice is yours.

Good luck in your search!
    Charlie and Burton

6. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-04-2014)

no clearances, no puppies. they are back yard breeders (these are not just people pumping their dogs for $$, but anyone breeding their dog without doing all the necessarily leg work like clearances, proving their dog no matter how "good" they otherwise are as people). if they happen to have a male and a female and bred that's a pretty big flag to (yes some breeders may breed their male to one of their females now and then but there was usually a plan behind that and they have more than two dogs).

It sounds like you know what the answer is before asking. Just need the extra encouragement to say no.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-04-2014)

So adorable and so tempting. I can see why she caught your eye.

OK, grandparents have clearances, what clearances? Have you been able to verify these clearances? Hum, parents not cleared, you're right, red flag. Does the breeder show any of his/her dogs?

Afraid I have to agree, this one is a pass.

Glad you joined and are doing the homework necessary to get as healthy a pup as possible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-04-2014)

Puppy
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply and to help bring me back to center. I have decided to pass. This is a long term commitment and we should wait for the right pup from a responsible breeder. Another red flag to me was the fact that this breeder kept talking about how expensive it is to get clearances, vet bills, etc. We all know that serious breeders are in for the love of the breed and the pride of maintaining the standard, not making a profit. I have identified reputable breeders in our area. I will zoom in on the one that I have connected with the most and will wait for the right puppy - or adult! - to come. Again, thanks for your help, I will keep you posted! (PS: I have removed the pics from my original post - thanks for the advice).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLab For This Useful Post:

bett (10-04-2014), charliebbarkin (10-04-2014)

Hard decision to make after seeing that sweet face, but think you made the right decision.

Yes, it is expensive to do all the proper clearances, vet bills, and showing their dogs either in conformation or hunt venues. That should not be the reason they are not done.

Good luck on your search. There are many here her know good, honest, reputable breeders. Once you get your post count up, you can PM a member in your area; we are not allowed to post breeders names here. Please stay with us. There is so much information and many willing to help with any questions you might have.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-04-2014)

Puppy
    Thank you! I will work hard to become a "senior dog"! Appreciate your support.

They are all cute! Good for you for being willing to wait for the right situation! You'll be glad you did, I'm sure. :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-04-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos