Dispatching Vermin

Can anyone tell me about a time (or two) that they had to dispatch an animal by hand (not a mouse/rat trap) that was a threat to your pets? I had to do it this weekend, and, while I know it was the right thing to do, it was hard! I didn't have many options, so the method was probably not the most cruel way to it, but certainly not the best, most humane way, so that made it even harder.

We use a baited live trap, then a single pellet from a pellet gun to the head. It helps them go quickly. If it is a more robust animal, say a coyote or larger carnivore, I see the only option as a rifle from a safe distance, or a foot trap.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

You did the right thing to protect you and your pets. I am so fortunate that my FIL takes care of this when it's needed and I can be blissfully oblivious. My FIL uses the same method as Bacon's Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    You did the right thing to protect you and your pets. I am so fortunate that my FIL takes care of this when it's needed and I can be blissfully oblivious. My FIL uses the same method as Bacon's Mom.
    Unfortunately my parents had already left for their deer or elk hunting trip. Ironic!

Sometimes you have to.do things you don't really want to. But you kept your animals safe and that's important! Sorry you had to do it.

A few months ago, I had to kill a big copper head. It was living in our courtyard of the apt building, where a lot of people walk pets and kids play. It was reported to management, and they didn't really do anything about it. We tried trapping it a few times, but no luck. So we went at it with a shovel and machete.

I don't like killing snakes since they are good for pest control, but it could have been bad since a lot of kids were playing around outside in the summer.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos