Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thundershirt

Thundershirt

Since our harness has done wonders for Sophie in curbing her jumping and hurling... was curious about the thundershirt.. anyone tried it? Thanks, Sophie's mom

I use it for my Emma who has anxiety issues. It helps her greatly with thunderstorms, fireworks, gun fire, etc. It isn't something I would want to leave on all the time, Labs are just too hot.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Hmm.... how much weight is in the vest? service dogs and therapy dogs wear vests all day... and also rescue... granted they may not be weighted.. but still... they can't get that hot.... ? Sophie's mom...

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Thundershirts are not weighted. They are stretchy and tight. They Velcro around the dogs body tightly (like a hug). The compression is supposed to be calming. My service dog does wear a vest all day, and we are actively working towards out search and rescue certifications and he wears a vest and chest protector for this as well - they both fit loose and allow air through - the thundershirt fits tight like a fleece jacket would fit.

What is your intention for using the thunder shirt? Jumping is a training issue. a thunder shirt is for anxiety issues, like calming a dog through a bad storm or a night of fireworks.
    Charlie and Burton

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (10-07-2014), Doreen Davis (12-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie's mom View Post
    Hmm.... how much weight is in the vest? service dogs and therapy dogs wear vests all day... and also rescue... granted they may not be weighted.. but still... they can't get that hot.... ? Sophie's mom...
    The Thundershirt is not weighted just wraps firmly. The vest Maxx wears for his therapy work is loose, which allows air flow. Like a harness a Thundershirt is a tool, not something I would rely on for constant wear. If your only issue is jumping you really need to teach that it is not acceptable. A dog that excitedly jumps to greet people will not pass the TDI test to be certified. (I don't believe she is old enough yet anyway.) Your girl is young and at that awful teenage stage, consistent training now will really pay off. They often have selective hearing and act like they have not been trained at this age. They can be very challenging, hang in there!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

what is the goal of putting on a thunder shirt on this dog? how did you plan to use it?

not sure how this relates to the dog jumping and pulling. a thunder shirt is about anxiety.

Bogey wears a thundershirt when I need to do his nails and when I take him to the vet. He's very anxious at those times. I'd never leave it on for very long. He has a hard time sitting down or laying down with it on (not that it's uncomfortable, he just doesn't seem to want to).

We just bought a thunder shirt for our 15 week old puppy, Ellie, to help quiet her anxiety when I put her in her ex-pen on the instances when I can not have my eyes on her (making dinner, taking a shower, etc). We have an appointment with a vet behaviorist next week to help us help Ellie get more comfortable in her crate and being separated from us (she currently barks furiously non-stop, pants, frantically paws, and urinates in her crate/ex-pen when we leave her, especially if I am moving around in the house), but in the meantime, my brother, who is a vet, suggested the thunder shirt after observing that Ellie's ceases tail chasing while in her harness (she really calms down when she has something around her chest). We don't use the thunder shirt in her crate, just the ex-pen near the kitchen, and not for longer than about an hour at a time (I only use the ex-pen while I am home). The jury is still out on whether or not it helps, but she seemingly likes it on (unlike her winter ice booties, which she loathes), plays in it and lies down comfortably, so we'll see what the behaviorist has to say next week.

Our Zoe used a Thundershirt along with melatonin for thunderstorm anxiety.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos