Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeff - question about Hemi's neuter

I was wondering if you've seen an improvement in Hemi's behavior since his neuter?

I've only neutered one dog as an adult, and he was completely asexual, so no difference. My current boy is 15 months and hit puberty around 8 months. He's interested in boys, girls, sterilized or not, peeing on pee, and marking. I'm thinking of neutering him in December instead of waiting for him to turn two in July. Wondering what kind of a difference it made for you.

Not Jeff, but I fixed Jack when he was 4. He was a typical boy and I had problems with him marking in the house. Being that he was the low dog on the totem pole in the house, he took the opportunity to pick things (when I wasn't looking) to mark as his. I'd catch him, have a stern conversation with him, and we'd be fine for a few months....then it would start up again.

Since he was fixed, THAT has stopped. He also tends to empty his bladder when we are outside vs. one spritz here, one spritz there.

Now we have the same problem with Grizz, but he can't lose the testicles until I am done showing him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (10-07-2014)

I'm not Jeff either, but I had Archie done recently. I didn't notice many changes - he's still really interested in smells, marks (outdoors), etc.

There was one big change. Before the neuter he was REALLY interested in female scents. He would follow me or any other female guest around, nose-to-butt. I was constantly correcting him, and trying to get him to leave me alone. Also really loved female undergarments - gross. I don't want to go into too much detail but he was really "in-tune" with my scents.

This entirely stopped when he was neutered.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (10-07-2014)

Not Jeff either but I had Gauge done in July he was a little over two. I have noticed a difference in behavior he's not as protective of the yard I have been working with him that tho. He doesn't really mark outside anymore either never had a problem in the house.

It really depends on the dog and the training you do all dogs are different and sometimes neutering doesn't help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (10-07-2014)

LOL, I'm Jeff.

Actually Yes, he is a lot more focused on me as far as training wise. Treats come over smelling and sniffing now. Last time we went to get weighed he walked in, smelled the hell out of the scale at the vet office but when I said lets go he walked right on out no issue. Before I had to drag him off the scale and hold his head up off the floor. He doesn't mark very much at all anymore, never in our yard, which he used to to quite a lot. We can actually go for a walk and he is ok with not smelling whats on that tree, or the next tree, or the next. Sometimes he gets a little sniffy but there is usually something to smell. Like right now squirrels and chipmunks running across the deck gathering nuts from the oak tree in my yard and so on.

However, I have noticed other changes as well. He does tend to sleep a little more. Could be just getting older but it is more than what he did 3-4 months ago. He doesn't come challenge me for play anymore. Like before he would get right up in my business if I am on the phone or anything and annoy the living crap out of me. Pull my socks off my feet and so on. Been like that since a puppy. Only time he does this now is if I instigate it. He is also much more cuddly. He has always been cuddly but after a while he got hot and would lay next to me or something. Now he likes to sleep with head on the pillow right next to me with my arms wrapped around him. Also belly rubs, he never ever would ask for a belly rub and unless he was tired wouldn't let me either. He had things to do and places to go and belly rubs relaxed him. Now, belly rubs are a nice normal enjoyable thing and will lay there getting one until he passes out. He does seem to wear out a bit sooner, he gets to dragging a bit behind on a 3-4 mile walk, but again we didn't walk much in the heat of summer. He also puts himself to bed and he is ok with that. I have also given him more freedom in the house leaving more rooms open and he is totally ok with that and sometimes he goes off and plays on his own with his toys. He never did that if I wasn't in the room with him.

I did cut his food by 1/4 of a cup after being neutered and he did loose 3 pounds but that's it, his weight remains pretty steady there.

For the most part we do seem to have quit arguing and fighting over who's the boss and he is a lot more attentive. I do wish he had the energy levels he had before but I still see that excitement come out when there is something to be excited about, it's just not on all the time now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (10-07-2014)

Thanks for the input. How old is Hemi? I have noticed this mellowing out behavior in all my dogs once they hit 2.5 - 3, whether they are neutered early or late in life.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-10-2014), Charlotte K. (10-09-2014)

Just a little over 3

Sawyer was neutered a little late. He is less likely to start a dominance battle with another dog after being neutered. It was also difficult to keep weight on him before. Now it's not a problem at all.

Our Bloodhound is still intact and we have no plans to neuter him. His personality is just fine so we see no reason to do "brain surgery!"

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    LOL, I'm Jeff.
    Hmm, can we really be sure your the real Jeff. LOL.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Thanks for the input. How old is Hemi? I have noticed this mellowing out behavior in all my dogs once they hit 2.5 - 3, whether they are neutered early or late in life.

I have to agree as my girl is nearly 3 years and all what Jeff describes is exactly what I'm noticing with her.

Sleeping a little more, less bouncing enthusiasm. Happy to go to bed before me but as Jeff describes with Hemi, she is more cuddly and sleeps up close to me. Lower energy levels and wears out sooner.

I was thinking before about starting a thread about this age as I have noticed lots of really distinct changes and probably more so because I spend a lot of time with her.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos