Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Yellow Dog Project / Yellow Ribbon

Identifying your "space needing" dog with a yellow ribbon
    I am curious how well known this “Yellow Ribbon” practice is?? Have you encountered it in your travels? I have googled it…. and it does exist, I have yet to actually see it.

I searched the forum for this topic and didn’t see any previous posts, so if this is a repeat I apologize in advance.

Here’s our background as short as I can keep it…..
    Earlier in the year I sought professional training help with Keene for what I categorized as fear / insecurity issues (barks at strangers who approach, backs away). At the conclusion of 3 sessions with the trainer, Keene was labeled as “fear aggressive” and I was told to euthanize her. (fyi - To date she has not bitten anyone)
    I consulted with the vet and we discussed options. Our plan was medication and training.

But during our 2nd session the trainer recommended affixing a yellow ribbon to Keene to identify her as a “non-approachable” dog. I had only heard of this practice once before through a friend that frequents a campground that uses the yellow ribbon practice.

I’m entertaining putting a yellow ribbon on Keene’s collar, but if no one knows the reason I would be further ahead putting a vest on her with “Keep Away” or “Stay Back” written on it if we go out in public.

I have heard of it and seen it only with a few "dog people". I do not believe it is commonly known so most people would have no idea.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

My yellow girl has some fear aggression as well. With a lot of patience she has come a long way. I tell people they can say hi or pet her but dont get in her face.

She is fine in a dog park if only one or two dogs are around her, more than that she gets nervous and starts to show teeth. I know this and avoid crowds. Simple enough, know your dog and don't put them in bad spots.

I know people with furless kids who think the same as their kids don't handle crowds well.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Have heard about this and commented on it a year to two ago. Some had heard about it but very few had seen yellow ribbons. Wish more knew about it. At the very least it might get someone to ask. Would like to see it become more widely known.

Kathy W
    Yes , have heard of yellow ribbon project ..... not sure how widely known it is ..... there are many reasons yellow ribbon / handkerchief can be attached to leash to give space to dog

yellow ribbon for dogs - Google Search

I would try yellow ribbon or handkerchief on leash first before sign staying back . Stay aware of how Keen acts , they give off signs when they are too stressed

edit to add a couple articles that have floated around facebook , may find interesting to read ......

What a Dog’s Tail Wags Really Mean: Some New Scientific Data | Psychology Today

Left or Right Tail Wags Elicit Different Emotional Responses From Dogs

kathy
    Last edited by Kathy W; 10-08-2014 at 11:04 PM.

We are vigilant and aware of our situation and definitely avoid situations that are triggers for Keene.
    It would just be nice to have another "tool in our toolbox" and to have something visible to take the guess work out of on-lookers.
    When I work with Keene in public we have had 2 incidents where people approached, hand extended to pet and boisterously commenting on such a beautiful dog without asking first. One of these was in a chain pet store.
    I guess ultimately I'm trying to avoid using anything that identifies her as "In Training" (using those vests or badging) because I thought that might give people the wrong idea, because we clearly aren't attempting CGC or Therapy status.

I have heard of the project, but haven't seen any dog wearing the yellow ribbon here.

There's an unspoken rule among dog people here - if you see a dog on leash, don't let your dog approach it. Chances are the dog is fearful or aggressive. Personally, I don't want my dog approaching any dog I am not familiar with, and I wish other people would respect mine and my dog's personal space too, not just utter the "My dog is friendly" line (usually that same dog is off-leash with no recall at all).
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    I have heard of the project, but haven't seen any dog wearing the yellow ribbon here.

There's an unspoken rule among dog people here - if you see a dog on leash, don't let your dog approach it. Chances are the dog is fearful or aggressive. Personally, I don't want my dog approaching any dog I am not familiar with, and I wish other people would respect mine and my dog's personal space too, not just utter the "My dog is friendly" line (usually that same dog is off-leash with no recall at all).
    I wish more people around here would realize that they have to restrain their dogs when meeting unfamiliar dogs. We've got some that we see regularly whose dogs are way too anxious to meet ours....some not even friendly seeming....who allow their dogs to rush up, usually on retractable leashes. As it is, I go off the path with mine to get further away and send a signal to the owners and still have to say, "please keep your dog away...mine aren't friendly". I usually just say, as I approach anyone, "mine/ours aren't friendly". Sometimes that's the total truth but sometimes it's a dog that Sunnie would like to meet as long as Danny didn't already open his mouth.

We had a thread on this before the crash...I don't remember anyone saying that they'd seen yellow ribbons/warnings on any dogs. I haven't.

Yes, we had discussions BC. I fear this program. I fear it might be used as some other tools are by unknowledgeble owners who take the easy way out and let the tool do all the work for them without training. Not you of course. Since few people know what the ribbon means the owner still has to avoid the people or dogs their own might target, be extra vigilant and diligent in looking out for their dog. I foresee the ribbon actually being attractive to some people, especially children.

House Broken
    I agree with Snowshoe, I think a ribbon may do the opposite of what you want and draw kids to your dog. Little kids are attracted to things that are pretty, different, move when the dog moves, etc. A muzzle when out would keep people away. If your dog is a serious bite risk then I would consider a muzzle while desensitizing her and working with her. A dog that is muzzles sends a clear, visual message to everyone to stay away. If your trainer thought you should pts because of fear aggression it must be very serious. I would not take a dog like that into a store. I would be working them at a safe distance in the parking lot and other places. I would be careful to Not push the dog to the point where it feels it has no choice but to bite.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos