Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Food for a sensitive digestive system

Thor did really well on his puppy food, the pro plan focus chicken and rice formula. About 2 months ago we switched him to the Sport 28 chicken and rice formula and he has been fine on it. Except: loose stools. At the same time of the switch he spent a lot of time swimming in mountain lakes and streams, so we've been working with the vet thinking that something got in his system up there (giardia, for example), but all tests have come back negative. His energy, behavior, eyes, coat, etc are all normal. It's just constant loose stools - no mucus, just loose (and annoying to clean up). It seems that he has a sensitive digestive system, and the vet recommended taking him off of the food he is on and trying something for sensitive systems to see if that helped firm things up. There are prescription formulas for sensitive tummies that we can get through the vet, but I know there are also plenty of other options out there. It's almost overwhelming. (we've already tried the pumpkin puree trick - no change, it just added festive orange streaks to the piles in the backyard).

Do any of you have pups who had this same problem, and what food works for you?

By the way, raw is something I've been interested in, but we do so much long term travel (with the pup, road trips living/camping out of our truck) that first I'd like to find a kibble that works for him since it travels so much easier.

Thanks!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    are you sure you aren't feeding too much?

and raw, is not difficult if you have a fridge or a cooler. you'd be surprised. one of my three, the frenchie is on raw.i get it from haretoday so i don't have to measure calcium etc.

House Broken
    Our Lab used to have loose stools on kibble. Raw has fixed that. When regular raw is inconvenient we use commercial freeze dried raw and it's just as easy as kibble.

Bett's suggestion is good too! If we feed our guy too much even on raw he can get a looser stool. It is an easier fix to try a little less kibble than to switch to raw.
    Last edited by shelly; 10-09-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: hit enter too soon

You could be feeding too much. I can't feed Jagger more than 4 cups a day otherwise the runs.

You could try raw too, we feed Grizz raw right now. I don't stick to the Prey model and don't measure anything other than the weight of the meat. If you travel, you can get pre-packed raw.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I stick to the Prey model and don't measure anything other than the weight of the meat. If you travel, you can get pre-packed raw.
    LOL My edit isn't working, I do the Prey model...

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't think we've been feeding too much. The lower end of the suggested amount is 3.5 cups daily, and we've been feeding slightly lower than that to account for training treats.

I may try some of the pre-packaged raw to see if it helps him, while I look into how I want to do it at home from scratch. I'm busy perusing those threads!

We feed our 85 pound Malamute the PP Sport 30/20 and she gets 2 cups/day. The recommended amounts have never worked out for us. Maybe fast him for a meal and try cutting him back to see what happens?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

MightyThor (10-10-2014)

Bruce will get loose if I feed him too much. He's been that was since 10 weeks old. I've had to constant adjust as he's grown. 1/4 cup too much food. Loose poops.

Puppy
    There is a ProPlan formula for sensitive stomachs/skin issues. My vet told me about it as I was talking to her about foods to transition Cooper to after finishing a week of solid poops on science diet I/d (gastro feed). i/d works really well by the way..... instant perfect poops! haven't tried the ProPlan out on my guy but I will if he doesn't go back on fromm smoothly.

Kathy W
    Thor is about 10 months ? I personally would not try raw yet quite yet ..... that is just me though ......

Max started on chicken and rice puppy then adult ..... do not remember what age ( just under or about a year old ) I switched him to Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach protein is salmon , works great for Max ..... worth a try for Thor ... have tried going back to chicken kibble , home cooked chicken also ..... end up going back to salmon kibble or dropping home cooked chicken for him ...............

good luck

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos