Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Retriever

Unexpected Commands

So I know we've talked about this before, but have you unintentionally taught your dog to do something when you say something unusual? Lately our new thing is that when I say "out, out damned spot" Sprockette will get up and move. I didn't mean to teach her that, it just amused me to say it to her when she needed to move.... So anyone else have an odd one?

We have done the Spot thing before. My grandfather called my sister Spot when we were kids just so that he could say that when we were heading out to the car.

When I think about it, right now we're doing "Clean up on aisle 5" for "Eat what just fell on the floor". "Yeah, I don't think so" has replaced "Drop it", "Leave it" and anything along those lines. "Be nice" means "Leave your older sibling alone". There's probably a lot more. As time goes on, we have become increasingly conversational. They know what we're talking about.

The only command I can think of is Hurry Up for go pee. We said that to our first dog who learned it meant the same thing as pee. Now we say it on purpose when potty training. But there are many, many words learned that we did not intend. Funny thing, food words seem to be learned in one go.

"Leave your sister alone" means leave the cat alone and she somehow learned "Ahhhhh bleeper!" means I dropped something on the floor and that she better hurry and pick it up before I do!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Scoot-a-boot. Mainly for Mardi since she loves laying in the kitchen on the mat in front of the sink when I'm trying to get supper cleaned up. Go easy - for Archie as he launches himself off the deck to see if there are any squirrels afoot. He's dug a couple of holes by taking off so fast and we're trying to get the grass to grow back. Ni-ni - time to go to bed in the bedroom, Mardi to her bed, Archie to his crate.

The fastest word any of our furkids have learned, the T word - treat.

Cookie was the quick one. He also responds to his nicknames better than his real name, I think! My husband calls him 'Pork Chop' which I have shortened to 'Porky'. No idea where it came from, but it's his second name!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    We have done the Spot thing before. My grandfather called my sister Spot when we were kids just so that he could say that when we were heading out to the car.

When I think about it, right now we're doing "Clean up on aisle 5" for "Eat what just fell on the floor". "Yeah, I don't think so" has replaced "Drop it", "Leave it" and anything along those lines. "Be nice" means "Leave your older sibling alone". There's probably a lot more. As time goes on, we have become increasingly conversational. They know what we're talking about.
    We use most of these for the same reasons, too, LOL. I agree that with Chloe and Scully especially, I could speak to them in complete, conversational sentences and they would understand. Mulder not so much.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Mine is when I open the back door with a big sigh, dixie RUNS to the bathroom and jumps in the tub. My big sigh means that she has been digging and is a mess. I can also say "do you have dirty feet?" And get the same reaction from her. This has happened a lot lately because it.wont.quit.raining!!!

When DH and I are getting ready to go somewhere, I'll say to DH "ready to go?" and Mocha gets in his kennel.

He's taught me that when he goes on his kennel on his own, he's asking "can I have a treat?" Of course the answer is almost always yes

Well, I'm not sure this is exactly what you mean, but when we say 'banana', 'cheese', or 'peanut butter', they think that means "run to Mommy and stare at her".

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos