Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best type of mace for a dog?

And by best, I mean, most effective.

Has anyone ever had to mace a dog? And, if so, what worked best?

We've had two maulings in my City that have resulted in the deaths of small dogs over the past couple of weeks and one woman was mauled and is losing the use of an arm. All dogs would not let go despite being beaten with rocks and shovels and having their eyes gouged. They were set out to kill. In one instance, the blunt end of a maul made them let go. Both scenarios are horrifying, and as I walk my dogs a lot, I want to be prepared.

Pepper spray is more effective on dogs as they have so many olafactory glands. At least that is what the instructor at my Concealed Carry Weapon class says. Pepper spray can be bought at a Gander Mountain type store.
    I always carry it attached to my leash. Once, when I was walking my friend's chihuahua , it was snatched up by an American Bull dog and killed before I could get it out if the Bulldog's mouth. Everyone involved was devastated.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Just checked and pepper spray is legal in my state with restrictions.

You may want to check with your local police as to legality in your area.

Those attacks sound horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    And by best, I mean, most effective.

Has anyone ever had to mace a dog? And, if so, what worked best?

We've had two maulings in my City that have resulted in the deaths of small dogs over the past couple of weeks and one woman was mauled and is losing the use of an arm. All dogs would not let go despite being beaten with rocks and shovels and having their eyes gouged. They were set out to kill. In one instance, the blunt end of a maul made them let go. Both scenarios are horrifying, and as I walk my dogs a lot, I want to be prepared.

How awful. I don't blame you for wanting to be prepared. What kind of dogs were they (I think I already know the answer)?

After my mom and her little Cavalier were mauled by a large dog in her neighborhood a stun gun that looks like a small baton was purchased for their protection. I do carry pepper spray but always worry about it blowing back in my own dog's faces so I am not even sure I would use it but it is attached to the leash. I also carry my gun, (with a proper permit), much more effective.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    How awful. I don't blame you for wanting to be prepared. What kind of dogs were they (I think I already know the answer)?
    Pitbulls. Two were lose and killed a dog on its own front porch, one was leashed and killed another leashed dog, and the other was loose in a house and attacked the landlady.

Senior Dog
    I'd carry a stun stick.

Oh my goodness. Are they stray dogs? Strays are usually fearful, and (pretending to) picking rocks from the ground and throwing them always helps me.

If they are not, things can get tricky. Pepper spray will work (if it's legal where you live). I had to kick three dogs on the ribs (one was a pit bull, one an Akita and one a GSD - all big dogs), only in one occasion (GSD) was the owner present and the GSD had no recall at all; all dogs were about to attack.

Carrying a bottle of water may be helpful in breaking a dog fight. A pit let go of my friend's lab when someone poured water over its head.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

House Broken Candy and Spike's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Pitbulls. Two were lose and killed a dog on its own front porch, one was leashed and killed another leashed dog, and the other was loose in a house and attacked the landlady.
    Are you from Portland Oregon?

I usually carry a small keychain size pepper spray called Spitfire (sabrered.com) when I walk in the dark or when we're on trails. It's small, inexpensive, and fits in your pocket. I've had my hand on it a couple of times, but fortunately I've never had to use it.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos