What's in Your Library?

Lately, I've been slowly growing my dog library. A couple visits to the local op shop later and I have returned with a couple interesting books ranging from all sorts of topics relating to dogs. I'm still in the process of reading and absorbing information from the books but am interested in further expanding my small collection.

At the moment, my library consists of:

Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals
    by Rupert Sheldrake

I picked this one up from the op shop for $3. Haven't finished reading it yet but seems quite interesting so far. The book explores the connection between us and our pets backed with research. Can't say too much about it but I do aim on finishing it once I find the time.

101 Dog Tricks
    by Kyra Sundance and Chalcy

A simple step-by-step book on 101 dog tricks ranging from basic obedience to the basics of tracking. I liked how it illustrated the steps with simple instructions and how Sundance attempted to solve potential issues that may arise in the troubleshooting section. However, on certain tricks, I found that the troubleshooting didn't really apply to our situation though. Nonetheless, great book for ideas.

Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program
    by Leslie McDevitt

I first saw this recommended by Snowshoe after reading one of the threads in which the LAT game was mentioned. Initially, I thought it only really applied to aggressive or reactive dogs but it has lots of great ideas for those of us who have easily distracted dogs. It is quite agility/sport focused but as Snowshoe said beforehand, you do face about the same issues when training off-leash anyway. Very informative read and has given me lots of tips and games in handling Bobby.

I highly recommend it.

Dog Problems: The Gentle Modern Cure
    by David Weston and Ruth Ross

Another op shop find. The beginning of the book was very informative, ranging from senses to dog behaviour and how to read body language. It tackles problems ranging from pulling on leash to humping. Whilst methods are there for a "cure," I do think this book is more of a "prevention" guide. It is an enjoyable read and does give a few good tips on tackling problem behaviours in a positive manner. I would particularly recommend it for new puppy owners.

Marley and Me
    by John Grogan

Who hasn't heard about Marley? Read this book before we brought Bobby home to prepare us for the worst case scenario. Amusing, humorous read. Now that I have a crazy Lab of my own? It just gets better especially since the content is so relatable. When I re-read it, I find myself laughing and nodding. Those of you who have read about our puppy kindergarten experience will know that I've joked about getting kicked out of obedience school because it was that disastrous (temporarily anyway).

Alrighty, that's about all for mine. Thought this thread would be a great book recommendation thread. So, what's in your library? What's the book about and why would you recommend it?

Feel free to chime in.
    Hidden Content

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Anonymous

The Art of Racing in the Rain, read it literally standing in the bookstore, could not put it down. Its a novel, but so well done.

A Pack of Two, really not sure how to classify it, autobiographical? interesting anyway.

James Herriot, all of them! starting reading his original series way back in the 1970's, such a gifted writer. If you want just the dog stuff, there's the James Herriot Dog Stories, pulled from his other books.

Theres more, some good older training books, some "history of " type books, can't remember the names now

I had been looking for a copy of "The Dual Purpose Labrador" by Mary Roslyn-Williams for a long time. I thinks it's arguably the difintive book on Labradors. I found a copy at Cruft's when I went in 2013, but the price they were asking was just to high, so I passed. I was staying with my friends (Bruce and Sophie's breeders) and the night before I left, he gave me a copy of the book. He said he had an extra, and wanted me to have it. I was very touched my his generosity, and I can tell you I'll have that book until the day I die.

1. Marley & Me (of course)
    2. How to train your Labrador Retriever - Liz Palika
    3. The New Encyclopedia of the Dog - Dr Bruce Fogle
    4. Pukka's Promise - Ted Kerasote
    5. Merle's Door - Ted Kerasote
    6. Good Old Dog
    7. Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
    8. Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs - Dr Lew Olson
    9. Pet Photography Now - Paul Walker
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    1. Marley & Me (of course)
    7. Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
    I think Marley and Me should be required reading for all Lab puppy owners! Also, think the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook would be a very useful addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    4. Pukka's Promise - Ted Kerasote
    5. Merle's Door - Ted Kerasote
    How did you like those? I remember when you were talking about getting them. I loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    How did you like those? I remember when you were talking about getting them. I loved them.
    They were an interesting read. Especially Pukka's Promise. I like the research he has done and the facts he is writing about. Merle's door was okay. He makes digressions I don't think are relevant for the topic of both books, and that bothered me. Also what bothered me is that he let his dogs roam free. That bothered me A LOT actually, because he depicted it as something that is best for the dogs. I know he lives in a very rural environment, but it still has its dangers. He also states that his neighbours' dogs were shot or hit by a car... it's such a miracle it didn't happen to Merle, or Pukka.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos