Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A town employee walked into my house.

I called the water department to ask where our main was because we need to dig. Yesterday my painting contractor told me that someone from the department came by, rang the doorbell then walked into the house. The contractor told him not to do that because we had dogs. I e-mailed the town because no one is on phones at the water department. Got a response this morning that the guy had opened the door to talk to the painting contractor and it wouldn't happen again. Talked to my husband who told me to call them on it so I wrote back and pointed out that the contractor was working outside on the windows and was on a ladder all day so that made no sense. Sure I thanked the supervisor who wrote back but what on earth was a town employee doing walking into my house? Is there a mentality that I just don't know about among public employees?

At our Thanksgiving my BIL told us a story about the gas furnace repairman at his friend's house. The friend wondered why the repairman had to visit every room. "To check the room vents." was the answer. Oh, ok. Never heard of that, can't imagine why, but ok. Later he found a window was unlocked. Then he was suspicious the repairman, who was legit, left it open for an accomplice to come back and rob the place. The friend is sure that window was locked. Creepy, but he locked it and if somebody came to rob him he doesn't know. Check your windows.

Obviously you need to let your turkeys into your front yard when you leave. I remember a previous story.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-14-2014)

YIKES! That's scary.

Be careful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-14-2014)

Nope, that don't work. How are they supposed to know if you and your hubby aren't dancing in the living room in your B-day suits. Or about to walk out of the shower? No, that don't fly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-14-2014)

I spoke with the painter about it again today to thank him again for saying something and he told me more about the encounter. Apparently, the guy argued with him and the painter went off on him. He told me that the guy said that there was a truck parked in the driveway so someone must be home and the painter read him the riot act saying that not only did it not mean anything that a truck was parked there but that it was my business whether or not I answered the door if I was. He said, "I don't even know where she is or what she's doing and I'm here all day, every day." Not sure what to do about this. It's the problem with having a big house. The dogs must have been with me upstairs at the time. I didn't even hear the doorbell.

kinda creepy, and I would inform the supervisor that you've had further information about their employee, and youre not impressed. in fact, rather concerned. That's not good conduct, any part of it, and the city should be very wary of that kind of behaviour from one of their employees.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-15-2014)

Is your painter sure it was a town employee? He saw his ID?

I know there's a big burglary scheme going around where thieves pretend to be utility workers, maybe similar here. Or he's just super rude and ballsy.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-15-2014)

I got a call from a neighbor who does property management. She had an out of town client who had a TV delivered by a national chain store earlier in the week. Apparently the delivery guy took note that the house had no alarm. A couple of days go by and the property manager gets a call from the HOA indicating her client's house had been broken into. They broke in at a back window, walked through the house, opened the garage door, backed their truck/van in, and stole the very TV they had delivered earlier in the week. Nothing else was taken. Neighbors didn't notice as they had hidden the truck in the garage and obviously left when the coast was clear.

Meanwhile DH was having a TV delivered to our house from the same retail store so we took caution. We let the dogs bark before we opened the door. We had them deliver the TV to our living room so they couldn't go into the family room and see that we have a dog door large enough for an adult to crawl through. And it's pretty obvious we have an alarm, too. The delivery guy was really creepy the way he kept looking around and complimenting us on our house.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BogeyBaby For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-15-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    Is your painter sure it was a town employee? He saw his ID?

I know there's a big burglary scheme going around where thieves pretend to be utility workers, maybe similar here. Or he's just super rude and ballsy.
    He admitted it to his manager. I had also told the painter that someone may be coming out to check the water main because we were installing a generator and the guy had all of the details. Apparently when he was confronted he just started talking a mile a minute. There are about three people in the water department. This guy is the foreman. Great.

Why did he need to go in the house to look for the water main? Don't they just mark it with flags or something? This is so scary to me. I always keep the door locked.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

janedoe (10-15-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos