What does this mean

We are in the early stages of thinking about getting another dog. We were a multi-dog household for over 10 years, but Sam has been our only dog for almost two years now. On one hand, the thought of getting another dog terrifies me. On the other I really miss the fun we had with two dogs. Not only were they great family companions but they were so close and loved each other so much. I contacted Sam's breeder and she has a litter of chocolate pups planned for the Spring 2015. She describes them as going to be very typey dark chocolate dogs. Sweet and affectionate. Great companions. So let me show my ignorance. What does "typey" mean? I have no clue!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

In the horse world it means "fancy" "showy" "true to type" so I'm guessing the same applies here? I'm sure other folks will have a better answer.

Also, spring 2015 sounds like a great time for a puppy - that's when we become a 2 dog household as well. We can swap stories
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

"Typey" is typically (pardon the pun-LOL) a word used to describe a show potential dog, or a really good quality pure bred dog with perhaps flaws, but oozes breed type. It is also very subjective.

Can you share the name of your breeder privately, just curious more than anything, and I won't share. :-)

I found this and I think it is a good explanation, in terms that everyone can understand. There is more to the article and I'll post a link to that also, but this pretty much sums it up.

* "A typey dog catches the expert eye on sight, being the very embodiment of his breed’s heart and character. It is not just balance, nor flashy style, nor sound action, but a living example of the distinguishing features which make him of one special breed. A dog lacking in type is a common dog with little to offer his breed, even though he may be well-balanced, sound, and beautifully presented. A dog excelling in type is a valuable asset to his breed, even should he possess minor flaws in other respects."

*Taken from https://www.oocities.org/willowind_dals/page6.pdf

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-14-2014), POPTOP (10-14-2014), Scoutpout (10-15-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos