Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trad's first honker hunt

Having recently arrived home from a week of hunting for grouse and woodcock in New Brunswick, Canada, yesterday we had our first opportunity of the season to get out on a field hunt for Canada Geese. Weather conditions were near perfect for a good hunt, this one was to be my pup TRAD'S first ever hunt for waterfowl. Not quite a full year's worth of dilligent training led up to what would be TRAD'S debut as a "waterfowl recovery technician". Now at not quite 14 months of age, TRAD had proven himself in the hunt test venue and throughout his training during the last year. Finally the time had arrived to put all of the training into practical application under actual hunting conditions.

TRAD was right at home in the blind and remained on his "PLACE" platform inside the blind, the result of lots of early exposure to the hunting environment last year during his formative weeks as a puppy.

I opted to concentrate on TRAD during this hunt and my shotgun remained unloaded for all but a few minutes of the morning long hunt. I called all of the the birds in and sat behind TRAD while he was on his platform. My focus was on monitoring TRAD for remaining steady, and watching him marking birds off the gunners from his position seated in the blind. With birds down, I line and send TRAD on retrieve.

TRAD had to figure out how to move the big bird into position to facilitate proper carry once he got to the first Honker of his gun dog career. I use Evan Graham's methodology regarding "Force Fetch" conditioning so I had little worry that TRAD was not up to the task at hand. Throughout the hunt, TRAD retrieved a total of 11 geese to a classic heel and sit presentation of the bird to hand. GOOD DAWG!!!

TRAD patiently holds the big bird while he is seated at my left side just as he has been trained to do. I am giving him lots of verbal praise while TRAD manitains "HOLD" which he did until I issued the command "GIVE" for TRAD to release the bird into my hand.

This photo of TRAD was taken not even one year ago on the very first day I got him about a month and two weeks after my loss of CAYDEN, a most special Labrador Retriever gun dog and companion.

This photo is of TRAD presenting his first wild bird to me during yesterday's hunt, not even a full year after TRAD'S day of arrival into my life as seen in the previous photo. We have come a long way with TRAD'S training, but we still have much more to accomplish for TRAD to meet my expected performance standards. We will get there by training diligently as a team. "TEAM TRAD".

This photo essay is dedicated to my past retrievers, and especially to AKC WILDROSE CAYDEN JH, SH, seen here with an Atlantic Brant taken on the day of our last hunt together in 2013 on the frigid waters of Long Island Sound in January. TRAD and I hunted in the shadow of CAYDEN'S greatness yesterday, something he and I will seek to attain together.

This plaque is affixed prominently to the inner wall of the blind we hunted out of yesterday, a blind which has commonly come to be known as "CAYDEN'S BLIND". Surely CAYDEN was watching over us with approving eyes yesterday.

TRAD is a derivation of the Irish word "Tradisiun" which means "Tradition". The legacy of CAYDEN as an outstanding gun dog and companion is continuing as a tradition passed on to TRAD as was evidenced by his performance yesterday. I believe "TRAD" was a very fitting name selection for this young and talented retriever.

I MISS YOU EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE CAYDEN!

Slainte Mates,
    IRISHWHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

Coalman (10-17-2014), Meeps83 (10-16-2014)

Nice read. Congratulations TRAD! It looks like he's going to be one heck of a Gundog.

Awesome day TRAD! It's great to see a lab do what they are bred to do, and in such classy fashion.

Disregard
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

Congrats Team TRAD!

Cayden is smiling down on both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
    Congrats Team TRAD!

Cayden is smiling down on both of you!
    Thanks Coalman.

THE DOG WHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Looks like good times for all. Does TRAD get to enjoy part of the birds?
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    Looks like good times for all. Does TRAD get to enjoy part of the birds?
    Ken,
    Yes, he enjoys picking them up / retrieving them and carrying one back to the trucks. As a working Lab, his ultimate reward is the retrieve.

Cheers,
    IRISHWHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

very nice!

Thanks to all that respeonded to this post.

Sincerely,
    TEAM TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos