Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

long distance travel advice please

Hi all,
    New to the forum. I can't seem to find an appropriate forum to ask this question, but I figure people who take their dogs to dog shows may have some related experience. I need to fly with my dog who is 2 and half years old and weighs just a little over 100 lbs. It's going to be an occasional thing, but it's long distance - from one coast to the other, 6+ hour flight one way. My questions are: 1. What airlines have you had experience with? And what's your experience like? 2. What kind of kennel did you use? I have one which is collapsible, which according to what I have read is not acceptable. Do I need to buy a new one just for the travel? 3. What else do I need to prepare for the travel?

Your advice is much appreciated!

1. Delta. 2. Good Experience 3. Have to have a solid crate, I have a plastic Veri-Crate, make sure it is in good condidition, I replaced plastic wing things that keep the top and bottom together with metal nuts and wing bolds. I have seen fancier travel crates for flying wish a could remember the brand (the local agility world team member) had a really good looking crate, looked super secure ... so I may look into. 4. I got the vet certificate proving my dof was in good health, don't remember whether I needed it thiugh. 5. Also call the airline and ask what you need, I forget whether I had to attach food, or connect a water dish.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fidgetyknees For This Useful Post:

lab4ever (10-17-2014)

Hello and Welcome!

Have not had to fly a dog in many years. Contact the airlines and they can give you exact instructions. Also, your vet should be able to help you with what is needed for health clearances.

My DD and I have both used United Airlines Petsafe program. She flew a Golden Retriever and a cat from Hawaii to BWI with no issues. I shipped the Golden from IAD to Heathrow for her, again no issues. I also used them when I shipped Bruce from Heathrow to IAD when he was 10 weeks old. I thing United has a great program and really does a good job looking after the animals.

Puppy
    Thanks all for your input. I will call Delta and United soon (and I think AA only takes smaller dogs, ie, kennel + dog < 100lbs but am not positive). I suspect though I may still not be clear on what kind of kennel I should get for the travel. What have you had? Where did you get it? And if possible maybe post a pic of it? Thanks again.

This crate is made for air travel:
    Petmate Sky Kennel, Medium

Puppy
    figetyknees, thanks! I have an extra-large "collapsible" crate at home, which I got when he was a puppy. We haven't used it much since he was maybe 3 months old, but every time when we do, it fits perfectly fine (ie there is enough room for him to move around). I know that one won't do for the fly, but I checked Petmate and it seems they recommend a giant crate for a dog heavier than 90 lbs? Mine is just a little over 100. I'm unsure if an extra-large would do. The giant one is SO much more expensive!

Check with the airline to see what they require. The crate DD had for the Golden was too small for the trip to the UK. It wasn't tall enough for the dog to stand up and his head not touch the roof. We've used the kennels similar to the one fidgetyknees showed, and were very happy with them.

If you go to the airlines website and search for pet travel rules, they will explain a lot on their sites. Crates need to be a certain size so that dogs can stand up and move around.

Puppy
    What about the wheels? Are they typically equipped with wheels? Is it any inconvenience without, especially for an extra large one? The petmate crates recommended here don't have them, btw.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos