Halloween came early this year.

Just to review, this was the summer that our attorney stepped in to show the trespassing (etc) neighbors that we were serious. This was also the summer when they lost their cat.

So this morning, there was a chicken in the dog yard which is OK but an unnecessary temptation for Zo. My husband had just left and the painter hadn't shown up yet. I had just woken up and was in my robe. Since I had to go outside anyway, I figured I would feed the chickens and goats real quick. I've done this before. Why? Because no one can see this area of the yard. There are trees lining the edge of the property which borders the far back of the neighbors' backyard. There are two sheds and an enormous wood pile that forms a makeshift fence.

I head out with a scoop of feed for the chickens, toss that out and check their water. I feed another chicken who I locked up because the others were picking on her and wouldn't let her eat. Check the goat water then turn to the shed to get some hay.

And there, standing between the shed and the woodpile, is my neighbor, just watching me. She's dressed in oversized cutoff sweats and a baggy shirt and her hair looks a lot like mine sticking out from head except that I just got out of bed and am in my robe. She could have won a scarecrow contest.

Words failed me so I said, "Hi!" a little too loudly and then because I just couldn't help it, I started laughing. Then she said in this creepy flat tone, "This is my new dog." I looked down and sure enough a smallish dog, probably about 20 lbs was straining at the end of a retractable lead, clearly following every move my chickens were making. I was at a complete loss so I asked what kind he was. She said he was a terrier mix. And we just stared at each other. Then he lunged forward and almost pulled her down. She said, "That's part of the heeling process." And I thought, I don't think that word means what you think it means. You're actually teasing that dog with my chickens and the second it gets loose it will be back here to chase them down. But that thought process was clearly too complicated for her so I didn't bother. Instead I asked, "Did you find your cat?" She had not. Presumably, that's why she got the dog. I told her I had the painters looking for the cat then I thought, why am I having this conversation? I just turned away and went to get some hay and I heard, "Thanks for asking about the cat." Same flat monotone. When I went back into the house, she was still standing there.

It was like having a conversation with a zombie like person then finding out that she had died the week before.

Maybe she meant Healing process? For her not the dog?

Weird, just pain weird.

CRAZY, maybe you should carry a pistol or tazer when you go out the next few times. If your chickens get to missing you'll know where to find them. Poor dog.

Very strange, I got goosebumps reading your story.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

You need that town employee who walked in to go to her house. Maybe they would cure each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Maybe she meant Healing process? For her not the dog?
    I hope so although there wasn't any kind of context for it other than the dog.

This is the first person I've ever met who I hope is actually on prescription medication. It would explain a lot and make her a lot less creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Very strange, I got goosebumps reading your story.
    Worse, I left her in my yard just to get away from her. I just realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    Worse, I left her in my yard just to get away from her. I just realized that.
    I hope you locked your doors when you went in. Between your "crazy" neighbor and the strange behavior of the town employee maybe you need to start carrying some sort of personal protection. Personally, I would be doing a lot of target practice. You definitely have the creep factor going on.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos