Suddenly afraid of (some) strangers?

So tonight on our walk, Sam and I encountered three little kids who wanted to pet him. He has seemed a little bit fearful of kids in the past, but I but I thought we could try again because usually he loves everyone and wants to greet anyone we meet. He was so scared I thought he was going to pull right out of his collar to get away. So I told them sorry and maybe he'll be ready for pets another day. There were three kids and they did run up to us kind of excited and one of them was dribbling a basketball, so I figured it was all too much for him and we just moved on.

So then we encountered an older gentleman. Sam ran right up to him and the guy gave him pets and he was all excited and happy to greet this guy. We kept going.

Then we run across a young lady probably in her 20s, she's selling newspapers. She asks to pet Sam and she comes over and crouches down several feet away and he gets all scared again and tries to run away just like he did with the little kids.

It's just really out of his character to not want to meet people and be all happy and lab-like. so I'm concerned and I don't know what's going on. Is this just a natural part of the fear stage or should I be worried about something else? He's almost 8 months now. All of his encounters with people have been positive so it's not like something happened that would've caused him to be afraid of kids or people in general. I don't want him to be fearful and I loved that he was so friendly and social before this.

Anthony is a little unsure with kids but is fine with everyone else but not instantly. We don't push it but are confident and move on if he's uncomfortable. We reward any confident behavior. He's improved but we got him at 7 months and he was quite fearful at first because I don't think he had a lot of experience. At a year old now he's much better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

sarah (10-21-2014)

He might have hit a fear period. Dogs will all of a sudden be afraid of things they never were before when these happen. The basketball might have set him off, they are big and dribbling does make noise. The usual advice is for you to act as if nothing is out of the ordinary. Don't coddle, don't force confrontation, try to project confidence.

When Oban, at 5 months, all of a sudden thought monsters were in the garbage cans he passed every Friday I took it a step further and did a little song and dance in the street. For one this new game of mine distracted him and for two, would Mum be singing and dancing if there really were monsters? Nope.

Here's my song. I forget which movie I saw it in first. This one is from the Muppets.

Muppets - Julie Andrews - song - YouTube

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (10-18-2014), sarah (10-21-2014)

House Broken
    Sounds like a fear period. I would socialize, socialize, socialize! Sign up for an obedience class- lots of people, other dogs and some people have their kids help so it is a great environment for socialization in a controlled environment along with distractions. I would hang out near a playground- from a safe distance where he is not afraid and acting confident. Tell him to look- point over at the kids- reward. Move a little closer, repeat. End it when you are at a distance where he is still confident. If he shows fear, hesitation, move back, wait, then repeat the exercise so that you end it on a positive note.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

sarah (10-21-2014)

Snowshoe: You are too much. Would have loved to see that.

Totally agree. How about getting a basketball and leaving it lay around at home. Play games with it outside. Slowly move on to bouncing. Are there kids around that can help you work on his concerns. Think he will get past this with no problems if you make each meeting a nonevent, something that happens every day and is nothing. The only connection I can see is both people having something in their hands. Try working with friends in that direction. Give him time, he'll get his confidence back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

sarah (10-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    When Oban, at 5 months, all of a sudden thought monsters were in the garbage cans he passed every Friday I took it a step further and did a little song and dance in the street. For one this new game of mine distracted him and for two, would Mum be singing and dancing if there really were monsters? Nope.
    LOL I don't think I'm brave enough for that! Although, we have some pretty weird neighbors so I guess I shouldn't be so worried about how I'M perceived.

Of course the last two times I've had him out for his walk, we haven't run across hardly anyone, let alone anyone who wanted to greet us, so I haven't been able to gauge his reactions since that day. We'll keep on going and hope this will pass.

thanks for the replies everyone!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos