I tried to fire the painter . . .

First of all, I think this is hilarious.

On Friday, my husband's relatively new supervisor informed him in no uncertain terms that he was to do something illegal. This was the second time. In both instances, people higher up had told the guy that he couldn't do that but the supervisor persisted. My husband refused again and his supervisor (who is off his meds) freaked out and started yelling "Get out! Get out!" then kicked my husband's chair down the hall. My husband grabbed what he could then left and several people met him in the parking lot to let him know that this had happened before. While my husband could have pursued the issue, I was not inclined to be supportive in his return since this guy is much larger and frequently informs others of his service in a military in another country which was, by all accounts, pretty brutal.

I could not be more relieved. However, we don't know when the next job starts yet so we were left with the basic calculation of monthly expenses, savings, etc. I did the math and was left with the following question: Why is our painter still here?

So I called the contractor. I was blunt and told him that I needed to know what was going on with our house but in all likelihood, we would need the storm windows put back on and we would finish the job next spring. He called back and left a message that it would only take two more days then one more day to replace the storm windows. Basically, he gave me a sales pitch even though he's barely been here and hasn't even invoiced us for three weeks. Fine, I said. Three days was much better than I thought given that the actual painter was doing the work at about the speed that suggested another two weeks and we're paying him by the hour. I green lit the rest of the work given that I was told it would be done in three days.

I know exactly why the work is taking so long. Stan isn't "painting". He's replacing window panes, redoing the glazing, patching wood, caulking and, in one case, reversing an entire window. He is putting on two coats of primer and is only now doing the actual painting. In fact, he is restoring the windows, of which there are more than 35 that he's actually working on. We frequently chat about structures, insulation, other historic homes he's worked on, etc. He is nothing short of an artist, very experienced and actually cares about the house itself. I have also noticed that he has improved our ability to control the interior temperature of our home dramatically and our heat hasn't turned on yet which is nothing short of amazing. So I was curious as to how he was suddenly going to prioritize and decide what needed to be done and what didn't.

I spoke to Stan today and it is clear that he has absolutely no intention whatsoever of finishing up in three days. His attitude was that it would be done right or not at all and he would keep showing up. He doesn't have anything better to do anyway. He said he loves it here and will keep at it as long as it takes.

And that's what it comes down to. He's just here. And that's it. I'm only paying the contractor on time for two more days but apparently that's just fine . . .

Gotta do what you gotta do.

well, at least you've found someone who cares and is dedicated to their work!

Senior Dog
    nice to find someone who does the job right and doesn't seem to mind you not paying for all of his time.

Almost impossible now a days to find someone with that integrity and work ethic. He sounds like a jewel. Can appreciate the bind you are in at the moment. Maybe he will work with you on that situation.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos