Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    House Broken

are we crazy? (hint- yes)

my hubby and i have decided to go down to mississippi for thanksgiving. his side of teh family is down there and has a big reunion every year that we never get to go to.
    the plan this year was to board the dogs- i have the reservation in place and everything. as it's been getting closer i've been getting down right panicky. we have never left them before, let alone for 5-6 days. ugh.
    so we were talking about it and hubby threw out the idea of an RV... mostly as a joke.
    but i jumped on it immediately

turns out with the coast of airfare, boarding the dogs, and a hotel room it works out to about the same as RV+gas. and the place we're going through welcomes pets in their RVs.

we're probably crazy but we're pretty excited. road trippin with the dogs! yahooooo! they both do great in the car so i'm sure they'll do fine.
    my only irrational fear at this point is that we'll be going down south and i pretty much consider that dog-hating territory (which is probably unfair. but still.) so at this point i feel like they need to be triple collared, double harnessed, and tied to my waist at all times but i'm sure they'll be ok.

House Broken
    Not crazy! Sounds like an awesome adventure

You and your dogs will be fine. There is so much beautiful, relatively unspoilt country between where you are and Mississippi. I hope you soak it in and enjoy it. As a native Southerner, I realize there are many negative stereotypes about us, but we actually are a very dog-loving people and creators/preservationists of more American dog breeds than any other region of the US, I'd wager (Boykins, various coonhounds, American Foxhound, Catahoulas, etc.). I would tend to agree that there is still a lot of lingering traditional methods of husbandry surrounding dogs, particularly with older generations (dogs living outside 24/7 and/or free roaming and intact -- yikes) in less developed areas of the South, but believe it or not, most of us have caught up with the newfangled ways of thinking -- just like our Yankee neighbors. :-)

I have traveled to the south many times with a dog. I am sure yours will be fine! My only concern would be fleas/ticks still being active in a warmer climate. I stop topical after the summer months where I live, but I have applied it in the past during colder months when traveling south.

Awesome idea! I think they will do fine.

A couple of hints: Take along gallon jugs of water so they don't get upset tummy from constant water changes. Do keep them leashed. Maggie's Mom's idea of watching out for fleas and ticks is a good one. Most of all, have fun and enjoy the reunion.

I think it sounds fun! What's the RV company? DH and I have always wanted to road trip with Loony tunes!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The south loves dogs, at least the south I've lived in. I would consider a flea and tick treatment as it's still warm in many southern states. ( So basically I agree with everyone above )

I a southerner born and raised and we have always treated our dogs like family. There are those that don't everywhere. Try to have a great trip and not worry too much.

Sounds like a great adventure! Make sure you take lots of pictures!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Sounds like great plan - have loads of fun

Not crazy at all. I totally understand that panicky feeling when you have to leave them. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos