Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Plan SSS

Pro Plan SSS

Just wanted to let those of you who use this food that it is on sale through the 27th for $36.99 at Petsmart. It's a 33lb bag and that's $10.00 off. I also had a $10.00 coupon from the Pet Plan rep (one of the few reps I actually like - she always gives me the $10 coupons ).

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    You have to be happy when you get $10 coupons for dog food!

Here at our pet store we buy 12 and then get the next one free. Some guys were complaining that it seemed a lot before you get the free one, but they told him it was the company that makes the rules. And it has to be the same make of dog food. It's hard to find any discount coupons for Acana.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Polly Pipkin View Post
    You have to be happy when you get $10 coupons for dog food!

Here at our pet store we buy 12 and then get the next one free. Some guys were complaining that it seemed a lot before you get the free one, but they told him it was the company that makes the rules. And it has to be the same make of dog food. It's hard to find any discount coupons for Acana.
    I know - Niner eats the PP SSS. Charlie eats Holistic Select - once in awhile I can find a $5.00 off coupon, but I can't use it because I order his food online from Chewy

Might have to look and see what else is on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Might have to look and see what else is on sale.
    My puppy is 9 weeks old and the breeder had him on IAMS. I would like to gradually switch food. I'm thinking on food without the by-product and grain free because of what I have been reading. Also, large breed puppy food is suppose to be better than puppy food?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    My puppy is 9 weeks old and the breeder had him on IAMS. I would like to gradually switch food. I'm thinking on food without the by-product and grain free because of what I have been reading. Also, large breed puppy food is suppose to be better than puppy food?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Labs are NOT large breed dogs. They can be on a regular puppy food, and most breeders prefer their pups to be on a regular puppy food, IF they feed a puppy food at all. You need to be careful with a grain-free food with puppies. Many GF foods have way too much calcium in them for a growing puppy.

There is nothing wrong with NAMED by-products. It's usually organ meat, stuff that makes us queasy, but is the most nutritious for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Labs are NOT large breed dogs. They can be on a regular puppy food, and most breeders prefer their pups to be on a regular puppy food, IF they feed a puppy food at all. You need to be careful with a grain-free food with puppies. Many GF foods have way too much calcium in them for a growing puppy.

There is nothing wrong with NAMED by-products. It's usually organ meat, stuff that makes us queasy, but is the most nutritious for dogs.

Wow. . . I had no idea that LABs are not considered large breed dogs. I'm assuming if my LAB gets to be at least 80 lbs that is considered a large breed dog. Now, I'm really confused. I do know my VET suggested I keep him on the IAMS Smart puppy which is what the breeder had him on. My girlfriend took the brother puppy to a different VET and the vet suggested gradually switching to large breed puppy food. What is considered a large breed dog than? Also, I really thought the first couple ingred. are the most important and when I see corn meal as the 2nd ingred. - Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat, I'm concerned that I'm not giving "Tucker" a quality meal for his health and growth. Any additional comments and information would be greatly appreciated.

I raised Sam on Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy. He did really well on it.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    Wow. . . I had no idea that LABs are not considered large breed dogs. I'm assuming if my LAB gets to be at least 80 lbs that is considered a large breed dog. Now, I'm really confused. I do know my VET suggested I keep him on the IAMS Smart puppy which is what the breeder had him on. My girlfriend took the brother puppy to a different VET and the vet suggested gradually switching to large breed puppy food. What is considered a large breed dog than? Also, I really thought the first couple ingred. are the most important and when I see corn meal as the 2nd ingred. - Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat, I'm concerned that I'm not giving "Tucker" a quality meal for his health and growth. Any additional comments and information would be greatly appreciated.
    If there is no specific meat meal like "chicken meal" or "salmon meal" listed before " corn meal", then the food's protein is likely significantly plant-based rather than meat-based. Just the word "chicken" means the 70+ percent moisture is cooked out and not supplying a lot of protein. Since dogs are meat-biased animals, I like to feed kibble that at least seems like it has a decent percentage of protein coming from animal sources.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

EmmaJo11 (06-05-2014)

Our vet and a good vet friend of ours both said we needed to have our lab on large breed puppy until she was 12 mos. The two brands she has done the best on were Wellness and the Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy. We've switched up a few times but those two have been most well-received.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos