We Met a Blue Dog Today

I didn't want to say in the title in case that makes it more searchable because it looks like blue in Weimaraners is just as controvesial as silver in Labs. In other words, not to standard.

But she was lovely and definitely had a bluish cast to her coat in certain light and angles. Folks who I used to meet with their GSP, who died of old age, had rescued her from a not so good home. Just over a year old and when she and Oban were playing she was wild and when she ran the lady and I got ready with bent knees in case she ran right into us. They said she'd not been socialized with people or dogs but she was good today, but they've had her for some months and worked with her.

It's easy to see how these undesirable colours get popular when you meet a beautiful, friendly dog like her. The exercise needs though, oh my. Anybody who thinks Labs need a lot should not even consider this breed.

The Blue Weimaraner Website

Did not think of them as blue, always call them the grey ghost. Dang irreparable breeders.

Glad the dog has been taken in by a good family, but hate the spread of these fad colors. They generally carry with them other undesirable health and temperament issues.

Any breeder who purposefully breeds a non-standard color is NOT reputable. I don't care what testing or socialization they say they are doing. Plus, the only way they are getting into reputable lines to breed to is through deceptive practices. That's not the kind of breeder that needs to be supported. Period.

Ugh.

I thought you were talking about a "Blue dawg" which would be a Bluetick coonhound. LOL

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    Glad the dog has been taken in by a good family, but hate the spread of these fad colors. They generally carry with them other undesirable health and temperament issues.

Any breeder who purposefully breeds a non-standard color is NOT reputable. I don't care what testing or socialization they say they are doing. Plus, the only way they are getting into reputable lines to breed to is through deceptive practices. That's not the kind of breeder that needs to be supported. Period.

Ugh.
    Amen. When we first started looking at breeders we came across one (face to face) who apparently advertised "white labs". To be nice and not get into the whole "white lab" discussion, we asked her for some references / owners of her pups, even though we had no intentions of getting a dog from her. She flipped out and said she was a "nationally certified tax preparer" and that should be reference enough for us. Uh, okay.... Good to know her dogs are all set on their W2s.

ETA: I love Weims, but watching them makes me tired!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos