Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Neighbors dog.....

I need some suggestions on how to handle my neighbors 8 or 9 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. She is a very energetic puppy who is constantly testing her boundaries and is forever on our property annoying the crap out of Cooper, to the point I am scared that Cooper is going to get mean with her. She will charge him, nip him on his butt or back legs and jump on top of him. I know she wants to play, but Cooper does not like an "in your face type of dog". Cooper does not tolerate this crazy behavior and just wants to get away from her. So...I end up grabbing their dog by the collar and end up putting Cooper inside, ending our play sessions, not fair to him. Both my neighbor and myself have an electric fence, Copper has never challenged it, and when he is outside we still go out with him to play and supervise, my neighbors dog on the other hand, has figured out that the two electric fences cross and she has one spot that she can access our yard. She is almost never supervised, they are outside with her, but they are always doing chores and she is just running free, really never spend time with her. This morning while I broke up her playfest with Cooper, my neighbor was outside, seemed oblivious to what was going on, didn't even respond when I was yelling at their dog to go home. I can't keep grabbing their dog to calm her to get Cooper inside, not only is it not fair to Cooper as it is our yard, but I already have a broken finger and do not want another one from this energetic pup. So, how do I approach this with my neighbor without causing a rift between the two of us?? We live in the country, so having friendly neighbors comes in handy....Any suggestions???
    Thanks Michelle

Senior Dog
    yeah, you don't have to handle your neighbor's dog. you need to handle your neighbors. and if it causes a rift, due to her inconsiderate behavior, oh well . would she rather a lawyer get involved? i highly doubt it.
    tell her exactly what is going on, and even mention that she was outside and seemed to not pay attention.

makes me hate people.

I'm not sure of the brand of fence you both have, but no matter what kind, if the two are too close together, it negates the fence shock. That's why twisted wire is used together to run it out from the transmitter to the lines.

If it was installed by a company, you can call and have the frequency changed. If it was a do it yourself installation, can you move the wire in a couple feet so the two aren't so close?

Either way, it seems to be a better solution than getting into it with a neighbor.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

I know Bett, really not the dogs fault. I just came in from trying to get her out of my garage, I was trying to put away the Halloween decorations and in she came. Quick little bugger!! I really wouldn't mind if Cooper liked her, but he is truly stressed when she is around, he is clearly just trying to get away from her, and it's not fair to him. Twice today alone I have had to put him inside because she was over. Guess I am going to have to pay the neighbor a visit...uugghhh!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coopersmom For This Useful Post:

bett (11-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand of fence you both have, but no matter what kind, if the two are too close together, it negates the fence shock. That's why twisted wire is used together to run it out from the transmitter to the lines.

If it was installed by a company, you can call and have the frequency changed. If it was a do it yourself installation, can you move the wire in a couple feet so the two aren't so close?

Either way, it seems to be a better solution than getting into it with a neighbor.
    We both have the wireless version....and I am unable to change the frequency on ours. I will have to check with her to see if she is able to change the frequency on the model they have. I can try and change our setting so that it lessens the wireless loop around the house, but in doing so I am lessening the are Cooper has to play outside

I agree with Bett that you should handle the neighbors, not the dog. But I know this would make me so uncomfortable! Here's a link I found that may have a couple of helpful hints on approaching your neighbor.

How to Keep a Neighbors Dog Away From Your Yard | Home Guides | SF Gate

Is there a way to put up a barrier where the fences cross? A prickly bush or fence? It's not fair that Cooper has to be denied play in his own yard because of this other dog.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (11-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CraftHer View Post
    I agree with Bett that you should handle the neighbors, not the dog. But I know this would make me so uncomfortable! Here's a link I found that may have a couple of helpful hints on approaching your neighbor.

How to Keep a Neighbors Dog Away From Your Yard | Home Guides | SF Gate

Is there a way to put up a barrier where the fences cross? A prickly bush or fence? It's not fair that Cooper has to be denied play in his own yard because of this other dog.
    I just mentioned that to my husband. I think it would be the best solution. I will have to go out with Coopers collar and check out the exact area and we can put up some sort of barrier, would have to be some sort of fence, I don't think a prickly bush would stop this pup.

Agree with Bett, have a chat with the neighbor before something happens.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (11-03-2014)

Senior Dog
    and i know i am crazy and foul so i hope i didnt come off as bad as i think i did.

my back, if it lasts, until nick is on his feet, will be a miracle.

but the neighbor will need to be spoken to.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

coopersmom (11-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    and i know i am crazy and foul so i hope i didnt come off as bad as i think i did.

my back, if it lasts, until nick is on his feet, will be a miracle.

but the neighbor will need to be spoken to.
    Lol Bett, you did not come across as crazy or foul, but given what you have been dealing with lately, if you had, it would have been justified.

Hope there are no more complications for Nick and he is healed and back on his feet soon...maybe waiting on you to give you and your back and much deserved rest!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos