Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vitamin E Dose and supplement dosage

What is actual or recommended dose of Vit E for a senior lab who is also being supplemented with about 3 squirts of grizzly salmon oil per day (based on weight chart) and hylasport along with 1000mg of chewable vit c. The Vit e caplets I have are human grade and I believe are 200 iu. I poke them and squeeze on her food a couple times a week and was using about 3 per time knowing that not all the vit e goo comes out.

Also when is good idea to start supplements with younger dogs- also have a 1 year old male who periodically gets a couple squirts of salmon oil on his food but no other supplements at this time.

I give my dogs 200IU of Vitamin E every other day. You don't have to open the capsule and squeeze it out, just throw the capsule in with their food. Make sure it's natural Vitamin E and not synthetic. The label should say "d-alpha-tocopherol" and not "dl-alpha-tocopherol." The "L" is for loser, good way to remember.

As far as the young dog, I'd wait until he's a bit older before you start supplementing, especially if he doesn't have any health issues. I have a 6-month-old puppy and I do plan to switch him to a home cooked diet at some point, but not until he's at least 18 months old. I want to make sure his diet is properly balanced while he's growing.

I give mine Vitamin E 2 or 3 times a week...they have the 400 IU just b/c that is the only kind I can ever find. And yeah I just toss the whole pill in with their food.

well I just looked and both bottles of Vit E I have are the dl version.. sooooooo... back to drawing board..

Ask your Vet. I asked mine when I started giving EFAs only because I read so many times that you need to supplement Vit. E when you give fish oil. I could never find out why from a credible source, my Vet could not find any scientific literature either and we decided 200 IU twice a week (because that's what I had in the house) wouldn't hurt but we still didn't know what good it did. Eventually I quit giving it altogether.

My Vet even asked on a forum sort of like this that only Vets go on, no one could tell him. If your Vet comes up with a defintive answer sourced to research I'd love to know what it is.

Vit E seems to be one of those things some people swear helps them but studies have not been able to confirm. My OH has varicose veins and he swears he knows which day he missed a Vit. E because his legs ache. Our Doctor tells him, ok, take it, but it's not proven.

Huh, guess what? I'm reading Dr. Ian Billinghurst's book, "The BARF Diet" and found this last night.

IN ALL CASES WHEN SUPPLEMENTING WITH THE ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS.....

.....make sure you also supplement with vitamin E. This applies to both dogs and cats, but most particularly to cats. The dose rate for vitamin E is 10 iu per LB [20 iu per KG] for animals weighing up to 20 LB [or 10 KG], reducing to 5 iu per LB [ 10 iu per KG] for animals weighing ovr 100 lb [or 45 KG]. The vitamin E prevents rancidity of polyunsaturated oils in your pet's body.
    This was first published in Australia by SOS Printing Pty Ltd. in 2001.

Dr. Billinghurst gives no credits for anything he says in this book. If he read anybody else's book, research, scientific paper he does not say so. Nor does he mention that he did any studies on his own. At least there is no list of credits in the back or at the bottom of pages where they sometimes are, not so far anyway.

I'm not through the book yet but so far it seems supplementation of Vit E is only suggested if also supplementing with EFA and that does agree with other things I've read, but again does not provide the research for why. This book is about feeding raw so how the supplementations relate to feeding kibble I have no idea, it doesn't say.

The rancidity factor is not the one I've seen mentionned as a need to supplement Vit E, what I've seen people say is that the fish oil depletes the Vit E in the body. I've seen no research at all to credit this or discredit this.

To me it's a glaring omission that he does not say how often this should be done. Daily? Only on the same day EFAs are given? I would suppose one would supplement the EFAs and thus the Vit E both daily (but I'd be guessing, right?) but in the section on EFAs he talks about varying the dose of EFAs and even dispensing with them after a time. And there's another problem for me, he talks about varying the dose of the EFA, by amount, but not correspondingly varying the Vit E dose.

Senior Dog
    I've been supplementing with fish oil for years and never added additional Vitamin E. My dogs have been just fine with it.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

My holistic vet recommends supplementing Vitamin E. I don't think it has anything to do with giving EFAs though. It's an antioxidant and has other benefits than just being a complement to EFAs.

Patty, snowcolabs, has posted articles and info on here about using vitamin E with fish oil supplements. A while back I took the info in to my vet to read and he completely agreed with the research and advises that vitamin E be given with fish oil supplements. OP- I give exactly what you give to my older girl daily and add vitamin E, 100 iu's, every other day.

I am sure you can find studies that dispute almost everything. I an very comfortable with the info Patty provided to us which was backed up by my vet. I am sure there are others that are comfortable with what they are doing by not adding vitamin E. I haven't found anything that tells me adding the vitamin E will hurt.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

My holistic vet actually told me when I asked her a few years ago, that she was not aware of a need to supplement fish oil with vitamin E. I've heard the arguments from both sides, and who knows if it is truly necessary or not. Honestly, I don't give as much thought to balancing out the supplements that I take myself. I take fish oil supplements, and I don't take Vitamin E and I feel fine myself. And my bloodwork even came back perfectly!

That being said, I know it can't hurt to give Vitamin E, and that it has its own benefits aside from going along with fish oil. So I toss a pill in their food a few times a week when I think about it.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos