Thread: Wish me luck

Wish me luck

I've decided to take the step and start fostering. I'm still looking for a good match for Gauge but why not help dogs in need in the process. I contacted a rescue that pulls dogs from high kill shelters down south and then has foster familys foster them. My neighbor told me about them so I said what the heck. This is lacie my potential foster that will be coming on Friday she is a lab/hound mix and is almost 6 months old. Shes bringing her on Friday to meet everyone one and to see if she is a good foster fit and for me to fill out paperwork.

Any advice on what to expect for those of you that foster or have fostered. I'm a little nervous.

I hope it goes well! I am a foster failure so my advice would be useless. I bet Gauge will have a blast!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

sheltieluver (11-05-2014)

Good luck Fostering is very rewarding but can a bit heart-breaking as well.
    We've been fostering for a while - the longest we had a chocolate Labrador Boo who stayed with us for almost 8 months till he was ready to go to his for ever home. He was such a poor creature when he came to us - very underweight with wounds all over his belly, knowing no commands & not being able to trust anybody We treated him, trained & fed well, he learned to trust people & he was ready. We knew we couldn't keep him with us as they didn't get along with Barney too well but I was crying for days when he left.
    After that we decided we can't do that anymore but we definitely want another dog so we found Shelby.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BeataK For This Useful Post:

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Good luck - don't worry, you'll be a great foster parent. What a cutie, I hope it works out. Gauge will be an awesome foster sibling.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LucyTudeOn4Feet For This Useful Post:

I know I'm going to be a foster fail at some point lol. I do foster kittens mostly bottle kittens but dogs are alot more work as far as training which I have no problem doing I just think I will get more attached then I do with the kitems I foster.

Thank you so much! Looks like a real cutie.

My advice, treat her like any new dog coming into the house. Watch carefully, feed separately, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

I too loved my foster experience -I did litters of puppies- it was a lot of work and my poor carpet paid the price!
    Good luck and have fun!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos