Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much do you spend on food?

I started making a homemade diet for my dogs over four years ago and feel like I've become really good at shopping. Tonight I calculated that we're spending about $900 a year per dog, including treats. The dogs average 85 lbs each.

I'm curious about what everyone else is spending, both homemade and commercial diets, including treats. Any idea?

We spend $65 per month on Fromm. Approximately $780 per year. Then probably $20 per month on treats.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

Luna's food is between $55-60 a bag (Nutrisource) but it lasts us a month and a half (she's 60 pounds and eats 1 1/2-3/4 cups a day). I also am blessed to have a great pet store nearby that discounts food up to 75% when it has a month left until expiration date, so I can get a big bag of Orijen for $15. We spend probably $20 a month on locally made treats, so our grand total per year is around $780.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

About $65 per bag of Fromm Star for Sophie, which will last about 6 weeks. $45 a bag for Fromm Large Breed Puppy for Bruce, lasts about a month. My local pet store gives 10% military discount, and has a twice yearly sale 30% off food. I usually get 3 bags during the sale, the manager likes my dogs so he will order in for me for the sale, which they aren't supposed to do.

I'll spend another $30-$50 a month on treats and chew stuff. I also get marrow bones from the butcher, $30 a month. I do get free turkey necks from the turkey farm we get our meat from for the restaurant where I work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

Senior Dog
    well, eli is fed raw, either from haretoday, which isn't cheap or from nick's prime shop, which isn't cheap.

jake gets farmina or fromm, and vangie gets a month of ziwi peak, a month of cod farmina, a month of nature's variety rabbit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

I have 4- all on Fromm GF. I just realized we are spending over 3K a year on food. WOW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to csblabmom For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

I'm jealous of American prices! $90 a month on Acana here. So, over $1,000 per year. For one dog.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

I feed raw, and right now I probably have enough food stockpiled in three chest freezers to feed my dogs for a good six months or so. Much of that is deer that I've gotten for free from hunters I know. I also stock up on chicken quarters when they go on sale for $.59/lb. And every January, someone I know butchers 12 cows and gives me the organs/heads/tails for either free or super cheap. I do probably also spend about $100 a month though ordering from My Pet Carnivore, I usually order tripe/heart/tongue/kidney/liver/pancreas. I like to have a good variety to feed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

I've recently started Oban on the BARF diet, as per his Vet, and bought my first load of raw food a week ago. $92.25 will probably do me about a month. That's going to be better than half the price of buying meats in the grocery store with ground turkey with bone coming in at $2.20/lb whereas $4.99 per pound is normal in the store and no bone in it. Other things I couldn't have gotten in the store but nothing cost me more than the turkey. However I still have to buy the fruits and vegetables at the store so I will guess it's going to be easily $100 or more a month. $1200 a year. For one dog. He weighs 72 pounds and he's alive so I'll do it.

Before, when I rotated three kibbles, each cost about $75 with tax and lasted about 1.5 months. That comes, roughly to $600 a year. So my costs have doubled.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

I don't want to talk about it! I average $500 a month from Chewy and $180 from Amazon. Of course that is for two dogs and three cats and includes treats. I suppose I could cut out some stuff but not much!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BogeyBaby For This Useful Post:

janedoe (11-05-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos