Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on nick

Senior Dog

Update on nick

so , the limo came 2 hrs and 15 minutes before our appt. during rush hour. i have no sense of direction but when i saw the turd's garmin, going to the verrazano bridge, i knew, wrong wrong wrong. i mentioned it and he said "oh yeah" but wouldn't re do the garmin. grrrr. took the streets, in the crowded rain, to the cross island. needless to say, i was 10 minutes late, called and will never have this guy again.

plastic surgeon said flap is the last resort, thought the tissue looked good, and ordering a wound vac which i have yet to study. i stupidly asked about that oxygen hyperbolic chamber and he really didnt know too much about it but said ok, then we went down to the surgeon.

also pleased with the tissue, and nick made his usual stupid joke about stuffing it with cheese and bacon. i said, to me, it looks like 10 centimeters dilated and a 12 lb baby trying to come out. dr laughed, said "that's the difference between men and women" and then i stupidly asked about that chamber. he made a face.

so we got home, i called the hospital that does that crap, and it's 2 hrs a day, 7n days a week and i emailed superdoc 1 who said "let nature take it's course, this is more that he doesn't need". YES YES YES because otherwise i was thinking of antifreeze in his diet coke. there is just so much I can do.

new nurse starting tomorrow, and i have to talk to her re the wound vac which i am sure will be an issue until i scream , rant and rave and go completely nuts and then it will arrive. i think it's a sponge that goes in the wound (gag, again) and a hose attaches to some gizmo that he wears 24x7.

called both docs and told them no chamber. ok, calm now.

package delivered. yes, supplies . in a torn plastic bag, no lie, in a cardboard box. how sterile.

so i cleaned out with clorox wipes a plastic bin from the basement that held my mother's knitting, dried it, place the torn plastic in it, so i can show the nurse how stuff is shipped. not like all the pads together, all the wrap together. no slapped in a thin torn bag . maybe i expect too much but really?

ok, gonna take a shower and try and chill out because i am spent.

good news is, eli and all labbies were crated, and eli who didnt poop this morning, didnt poop until i came home.
    there is a god. see the little things that make me happy.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (11-06-2014), Scoutpout (11-07-2014), Sir Winston (11-09-2014), SunDance (11-08-2014)

Yikes, that's not good, hope all comes out well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

bett (11-06-2014)

Senior Dog
    but the wound looks better and no flap yet so…..he may lose his mind because i do think this will take some time and the ankle surgeon also said NO WEIGT because a wound like this , slows down the bone healing. my other fear.but I'm not going there now.
    lets see how long it takes to get the wound vac. those nursing places are killing me, with their inefficiency.

he may end up needing a graft but not going there either. his leg is mangled and ugly anyway so what 's the difference? i guess it has to close completely, as i answer my own dumb question.
    meanwhile, he's behaving, was pleased , isn't looking forward to the pain involved but i put a tube of the procedure on the computer so he can know exactly what's coming.eventually.

Best Friend Retriever Gibbysmom's Avatar
    Sorry your going through this scary experience. As an Cardiovascular OR RN for many years I just want to let you know wound vacs are a commonly used treatment. I don't know if you've been told or not but non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Mortin, Alieve, Naproxen inhibit bone healing, also smoking, in case these pertain to him. I know when I had my neck fusion 3 years ago(plate and 6 screws in my cervical spine), no one told me this. I only knew because of my profession. Best wishes for good healing......

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gibbysmom For This Useful Post:

bett (11-08-2014), ZouZou (11-08-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbysmom View Post
    Sorry your going through this scary experience. As an Cardiovascular OR RN for many years I just want to let you know wound vacs are a commonly used treatment. I don't know if you've been told or not but non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Mortin, Alieve, Naproxen inhibit bone healing, also smoking, in case these pertain to him. I know when I had my neck fusion 3 years ago(plate and 6 screws in my cervical spine), no one told me this. I only knew because of my profession. Best wishes for good healing......
    yes, we were told. including smoking pot which i brought up to the dr today because when they ask if he smokes, he says not cigarettes and no one says a word. so i was specific. no hooch, honey pie.

and due to severe pain for years, he already perforated his gut from over use of motrin (more is better was his motto) , was in the hospital with that lovely tube down his nose, no food, middle of the night emergency surgery (first they thought his aorta was bursting and then i told the dr about his misuse of motrin), several pockets of peritonitis , enough to scare him for a while.

he's a trip and I'm along for the ride but i rat him out , when i think he needs to be ratted on.

he's also already had laminectomies, and spinal fusion. and great that he's a butcher standing on his feet all day.
    swell.

well, now he's in, leg up, and tomorrow i will deal with the nursing staff, my insurance and getting that wound vac asap. meanwhile, still the dakin's solution and wrapped.

thanks so much for the info tho , and now knowing your job, i feel even better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (11-08-2014)

Sounds like an overall good report from the doctors as far as the healing. At least you know now that it is healing as it should.

Has to laugh about you ratting Nick out. I've done the same with DH. They seem to conveniently "forget" certain things. Not while I'm around bud.

Good boy Eli! You knew he could do it. One day Nick will be all healed and walking and Eli will be asking to go out to poop and pee. We can dream can't we.

Sending more healing prayers. More hugs for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

bett (11-06-2014)

good to hear from 2 separate docs that Nick is healing as he should. Those things can look a fright though.
    and good on the ratting, it just has to be done when its to help them.
    wow, Eli, do you think he might finally be getting it?! what a nice gift that would be for you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

bett (11-07-2014)

Senior Dog
    the surgeon also mentioned that no weight as the bone isn't healing as it should be with the wound being what it is.

that thrilled me nearly to death, as the leg took nearly 4 yrs to heal (before me) from the original accident. many surgeries until superdoc 1 came along.
    so, I'm still on pins and needles but nick would tell you that's me. he lives in a dream world or pretends to while i am the realist and worrier.
    but, yes, a good report and that's what i am focusing on.

nurse today was great but of course, she may not be the wound vac nurse. one never knows. trying to find out who ordered the vac and when it's coming. no answers yet. she also asked me if the dr said anything about the tendon being exposed and i nearly dropped dead and said "no".

she did say that the wound will heal with the vac.
    I've bookmarked info and a utube for nick to look at but he's yet to move from the bed, which concerns me too.

i now have forced in a way ,him to get up at 11, and put the boot on, and get down the two flights (short flights) on his behind, to crate the dogs. usually by then, I'm pretty much dead. started added melatonin to the mix and think it may work. or else I'm just exhausted.

ok, that's all the news for today.

thanks for the caring. it matters.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bett For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (11-08-2014)

Senior Dog
    I've seen and been through a lot of crap through my profession, but I'm sorry Betty, the tendon showing, that's just gross and I'd probably throw up! You are doing a great job for him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas dawg For This Useful Post:

bett (11-07-2014)

Senior Dog
    i didnt know it was the tendon till the nurse said it. gag. and to think i dressed the wound yesterday because the drs didnt have the dakin's solution. i don't know how i did it and really could have barfed. too deep.
    i caught him hopping down the steps tonight instead of on his tush so now he really really hates me.
    but i think i hate him too.
    i threatened to never leave him alone in the house. that ought to do it.
    for both of us.

cant he at least not do that?????

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos