Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I got bit by a dog today!

We take Lola to a dog friendly off leash beach almost every Saturday morning. Normally a great crowd with well behaved dogs.

Well, this morning there were a couple of dogs on the beach. A Shepard mix and a Bernese . They were all running around with Lola, but the hair on Lola's back kept popping up around the Shepherd mix. Well, I had a bumper in my hand (one of those black and white ones with a rope) and I was swinging it around in circles, talking to the owners of Shepherd mix getting ready to throw it in the water. Before I knew it, the Shepherd mix was clamping down on my forearm. Nice gash in my arm!

It didn't look too bad, but I went to the urgent care at the urging of my wife and the owners of the dog who bit me. Doctor weighed the option of a couple of stitches or tape sutures. I went with the tape.

The owners are cooperating and a report was sent to animal control. Scary stuff. Just glad I got bit instead of Lola. I'll post pic when I get back to my computer.

Puppy
    Sorry you got bit Sounds like the dog may have been going for the bumper and was not an intentional bite.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4PAWS For This Useful Post:

Bamps (05-24-2014), monsterpup (05-24-2014), Pam and Brandy (05-24-2014), Snowshoe (05-25-2014)

Ouch! Bites are so painful. Hope it heals fast and hope those people do some kind a training for the dog.

Meagan
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Hope you heal quickly!

Oh not fun. Glad it's not too bad. I agree that it sounds like the dog was going for the bumper and got your arm instead. The owners must be devastated.

Nancy

All good thoughts. That's really scary.

The owners were beside themselves. Weird thing is that I had the bumber in my right hand, and the dog clamped on to my left forearm.

The owners said that the dog was a shelter dog, but nothing like this had ever happened. That will be verified when animal control gets involved. Btw - the doctor said that the majority of dog bites come from Pit Bulls and Shepherd or Shepherd mixes. Not sure if that's true.

I still think Lola's spidey sense was right, when the hair went up on her back around the dog. I'll pay more attention to that in the future!

Btw - Nancy, I need your old signature picture of "Frick and Frack" hamming it up with those funny grins.

That is interesting about the bumper in one hand and the bite on the other arm. Now I'm not sure what to think. If Lola's hackles were up she must know something. Charlie knows who is not a nice dog in our neighborhood and I truly believe he tries to protect me (or is it Niner that he's protecting LOL) from those dogs. Hope your arm heals quickly.

Nancy

Oh and I know I need to get that old pic back, but I had such a hard time just getting the current one to post I kind of just threw up my arms LOL

Sorry you got bit. I don't think that dog was intentionally attacking but more or less just too rambunctiously excited. But I wasn't there, you were.

Glad it wasn't more serious and hope your arm heals quickly. It's really bizarre that the dog didn't go for the arm with the bumper - not very logical. I agree that our dogs are often smarter than us and we should trust their instincts more. They seem to feel a possibility of danger a lot sooner than us.
    What's going on with those California beaches My ten-year-old niece got bitten by a golden mix in the butt on the beach in La Jolla about two weeks ago when she and my sis were walking their dog. If poor Aud hadn't been wearing a thick wetsuit, she would've ended up cheekless! I saw the pics of the bruise and it looked pretty scary.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos